Towing a square baler

/ Towing a square baler #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Just wondering what's the farthest anyone ever towed a square baler. One would guess that the bearing assemblies and definately the tires were not meant for long pulls.

/ Towing a square baler #2  
You are partially correct. It's not the length of the pull, but the speed. Baler tires and wheel bearings were made for off-road use at tractor speeds. Anything faster than a farm tractor, and you run the risk of over-heating (and seizing) the bearings, or blowing a tire, especially with the temperatures we're having here right now. (100+ every day)

Having said that, depending on the brand, we have to pull a baler a long ways to have it serviced. From here, it's 20+ miles to a NH dealer, and 40+ miles to a JD dealer.

Just put on the flashers and go SLOW!

Just my :2cents: worth.

/ Towing a square baler #3  
You are partially correct. It's not the length of the pull, but the speed. Baler tires and wheel bearings were made for off-road use at tractor speeds. Anything faster than a farm tractor, and you run the risk of over-heating (and seizing) the bearings, or blowing a tire, especially with the temperatures we're having here right now. (100+ every day)

Having said that, depending on the brand, we have to pull a baler a long ways to have it serviced. From here, it's 20+ miles to a NH dealer, and 40+ miles to a JD dealer.

Just put on the flashers and go SLOW!

Just my :2cents: worth.

There ya go! Slow...

After my brother got bored with 25mph and decided to kick it up a bit to 40mph on a 40 mile tow - all that time he saved - was lost after the baler blew a tire and ended up parked along side the road!

When we changed the tire - it stated on the sidewall - do not exceed 25mph!

AKfish

/ Towing a square baler #4  
Just wondering what's the farthest anyone ever towed a square baler. One would guess that the bearing assemblies and definately the tires were not meant for long pulls.

I towed my MF124 baler (two-twine, small squares) about 25 miles from the seller's place to mine. Used the F150, back roads, 25 mph max.

DSCF0267 (Small).JPG

/ Towing a square baler #5  
Many years ago (20?), I towed an IH-46 baler behind my CJ7 60+ miles. I remember doing 45 max and stopping at several pull-overs to check the heat coming off the bearings. There wasn't much, but it was probably too fast and too far. I wouldn't have the nerve to do it today. I think I was just lucky.

Most of the trip was on a two lane state highway, with lots of hills and only a couple of passing zones. I picked the baler up at first light on a Sunday morning and didn't have much traffic. I didn't encounter any police officers, but I doubt they would have stopped me. Indiana is still a farm state and equipment on the road is a normal event.

I don't think I'd want to do more than 20 miles and I wouldn't go over 25MPH.

/ Towing a square baler #6  
You sre more likely to have a tire failure then a bearing failure as they use the same bearings that might be on the front of a car! I should say that on modern machines! Some older machines used different bearings that are not meant for speeds over 20 as they are the older needle style bearings.

I've towed farm equipment for many miles and if the bearings are good I've never had a issue with an axle or a bearing. Can't wait till tommorrow!

I know that many of the tires have a 25mph rating but I normally tow at normal road speeds as long as the truck has enough weight to manage it properly. I will stop and check after the first ten miles or so to check the wheel bearing temp as well as the tires.

We are often towing machines one hundred plus miles to deliver them although 50 miles is a day to day event.

I can tell some exciting tales from being pushed down hills at speeds that would have given me a speding ticket from a machine far heavier then the truck pulling it to blowing four tires off the wagon I was pulling but not all at once.

/ Towing a square baler
When you start getting into todays modern balers the width makes it difficult to trailer too. My dad is supposed to be picking up a 105 inch wide baler today (NH 570) and putting it on a 102 inch wide trailer. It's tedious, but no way I'd want to tow one 300 miles.

/ Towing a square baler #8  
Speed is the issue. Keep it down mostly, especially on rough roads. Since there is no suspension on the baler, so roads you may only be able to do 15 or so. On really smooth roads 25-30 usually is okay, but stop to check everything as you go.

/ Towing a square baler #9  
When you start getting into todays modern balers the width makes it difficult to trailer too. My dad is supposed to be picking up a 105 inch wide baler today (NH 570) and putting it on a 102 inch wide trailer. It's tedious, but no way I'd want to tow one 300 miles.

Not sure on the 570 but I know on the 315 you can actually remove the axle spindles and get it down to 102" wide or less. 300 miles is a bit far. I just towed a NH 311 discbine 40 miles. No problems with tires or bearings. Only issue is the monster is 11'-3" wide. Not too bad on main roads but a little hairy when I got close to the house.

/ Towing a square baler #10  
I bought a used nh 570 - could not find a trailer to put it on so I dropped a pin in the hitch and towed it 75 miles or so back home - it towed like a trailer ! 45 -50 mph the entire time and the hubs didnt even feel hot.