Sickle mower for fine thick grass??

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #21  
Look on S.I. Distributing website for SCH System. I have them, best money I ever spent on hay equipment. Also check your sickle register no matter how good your sections, guards, and hold downs are if the register is not right it will not cut good.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is a sickle register? I've used sickle mowers for 21 years from a double 7 ft bar Kosch to the double 9' bar Rowse and I've never heard of a sickle register. Maybe I call it something else. Do you mean like the timing on the old Kosch?

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #22  
Maybe a dumb question, but what is a sickle register? I've used sickle mowers for 21 years from a double 7 ft bar Kosch to the double 9' bar Rowse and I've never heard of a sickle register. Maybe I call it something else. Do you mean like the timing on the old Kosch?

This might help--register adjustment steps for the New Idea 253 trailer type sicklebar mower:

Sicklebar register-1 (Medium).jpg

Sicklebar register-2 (Medium).jpg

Some sicklebars don't have a register adjustment, e.g. MF 31, MF 41, which, according to MF, have such high degree of precision in the drive parts and cutter bar that register adjustment isn't necessary. Maybe for a new mower, but for an old, worn mower like my MF31, I'll be checking the register next time I use it. May not be able to do anything about a mis-registered condition, but at least I'll know how bad it is.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #23  
New Idea has a good graphic there for describing registering the knives. I'd almost think it would work better if the sections did not all cross the guards at the same time. Wouldn't it have a smoother action if the shearing was staggered across the bar? Just wondering. My Ford 515 is set up that way - the sections are all the same relative to the guards.
Jim

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #24  
Researching the "registering" question a little further, it seems that sicklebar mowers with pitman drive arms sometimes (generally?) have a means to adjust the register. Belt driven mowers like my MF31 don't have register adjustment for the reason mentioned in my previous post in this thread.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #25  
That makes sense. The pitman delivers maximum power to the cutter bar twice per revolution. That's a good reason to want the sections crossing the guards then. Our belt-drives are probably less sensitive to that issue.
Thanks, Jim

Actually, not sure about my thinking, since when the pitman and the crank are nearly aligned, the knives aren't moving much, so even with less leverage there is less resistance. When the crank is perpendicular to the pitman, there's the most speed and the least leverage. I think. Anyone with a pitman mower chime in here and say when the cutting happens in the crank rotation?
Hmmm

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #26  
Now I know what register means. We used to call it timing on our old Kosch mower with pitman sticks. The Rowse mowers with New Holland heads that we use now don't need to have any adjustment.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #27  
Like cornshucker I put the SCH cutter system on a 9 foot John Deere 350 wobble head sickle mower and I am very pleased with it. The mower needed a new knife, knife head, guards, etc., and the SCH system was cheaper than a new set from John Deere and not much more than an aftermarket set. The roller guides make it quiet and easy to drive. And it is a pleasure not to have to adjust hold downs and wear plates. I made a subframe for it on a Kubota B2400HST with 14 pto hp and it pulls it as fast as I can stay in the seat without a fuss.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #29  
Hi I'm a new member, not very computer savy. Does anyone have an exploded view of the gear box of a new idea sickle bar mower?