Sickle mower for fine thick grass??

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #1  

blaze 57

Bronze Member
The mower is a JD 350 just sold my JD No. 39 pittman. Need hints on setting the sickle mower up to cut that fine, thick sub-irrigated grass that plugs it. What knifes to use or what else etc should I be doing to get it to cut fine thick grass. Thanks!

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #2  
sharp overserrated sections and new plates underneath the sections.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #3  
I do not have experience with a John Deere mower but I run Rowse double 9' bars with New Holland heads and my advice would be to make sure your guards are in good shape, that the hold down clamps are not wore to much because if they are wore to much they won't hold the sickle down on the guards. I prefer to use underserrated sickles that have to be sharpened. A previous poster recommends overserrated sickles and they should also work well if they are new and sharp. Also try and cut it on a day when its dry and not to much humidity which makes it tough cutting. Some grasses are just frustrating to cut with a sickle mower which has me looking into either a disc mower or disc mower conditioner.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #4  
The mower is a JD 350 just sold my JD No. 39 pittman. Need hints on setting the sickle mower up to cut that fine, thick sub-irrigated grass that plugs it. What knifes to use or what else etc should I be doing to get it to cut fine thick grass. Thanks!

I'd punt and get myself a drum mower and stop worrying about plugging. For about $3K you can get yourself a drum mower with a 5-6 ft cut that you can run at relatively high ground speed (4-5 mph) through your field of grass.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass??
I think some of my problems is the rock guards are a little worn. Those drum mowers look trick. I was also looking at the "double action" type sickle mowers made by Befco and another company. I was wondering if the double action type sickle is better for thick grass?? Does anyone here own a double action type sickle mower? thanks for the previous replies!

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #6  
For the ordinary sickle bar mower all has to be in tip top shape and sharper than sharp for thick, thin grass. Perhaps slow the ground speed down to.:)

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass??
If I slow the ground speed down with the RPM's up it will cut through it. Looking at the rock guards the edges are slightly rounded and need replacing.

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #8  
My JD 350 has replaceable "ledger plates"

EP12503________UN09DEC03.gif

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #9  
I've seen those and know guys who prefer them but I've never tried em always used the smooth guards with an underserrated sickle. a set of guards generally lasts me a season, this year cut alot of crp hay and with all the mole hills in there really wore out my guards quick. should replace em but I'm trying to make it to the end and don't have alot more left to cut. Generally put up 3000 to 4000 large round bales a year Not sure on the acres cut haven't tallied it up, kinda varies from year to year.

I also agree completely with the guy who said to reduce ground speed to cut that fine thick grass. Thats sound advice I forgot to mention. :thumbsup:

/ Sickle mower for fine thick grass?? #10  
I think some of my problems is the rock guards are a little worn. Those drum mowers look trick. I was also looking at the "double action" type sickle mowers made by Befco and another company. I was wondering if the double action type sickle is better for thick grass?? Does anyone here own a double action type sickle mower? thanks for the previous replies!

We sell them and use them. My Operations manager has ran a double action for years and says he had rather run it that his 8 ft disc mower. Ours are the 394-7 Superior for $3695 with hydraulic lift. Ken Sweet