Round Bale Preferred Size

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #1  

rotirahn

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the optimal bale size, both for silage and hay round bales.
Based on which criterias should I choose the size of a bale?
What sizes are mostly preferred by farmers around the world today, both for silage and hay?
Is there a trend going towards bigger bales like 5x6 or smaller bales?
Are there special bale sizes for dairy cow feeding?

Thank you for any help.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #2  
Equipment available to move the bales and travel distance are the two primary considerations. 99% of silage round bales are either 4x4 or 4x5; a 4x5 silage bale can weigh 2000lb easily. 5 foot wide bales don't stack two wide on a truck legally anywhere in the US. A 5x6 bale of dry hay can weigh 1800-2000 lb.You don't post your location, and overwidth loads are more of a problem in some areas than others. Generally speaking, bigger bales mean less numbers to make and haul, but there are other considerations, as mentioned.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #3  
For me its a 4x4, not all of my customers have tractors and I can roll a dry 4x4 by hand. Also they fit on my trailer better.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #4  
ditto that. call your potential clients and see what their machines can handle. many like 4x4 or 4x5 due to tractor size and lots of people with CUT's and not ag tractors doing lil farming operations.. etc.

soundguy

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #5  
Hello,

I have some questions regarding the optimal bale size, both for silage and hay round bales.
Based on which criterias should I choose the size of a bale?
What sizes are mostly preferred by farmers around the world today, both for silage and hay?
Is there a trend going towards bigger bales like 5x6 or smaller bales?
Are there special bale sizes for dairy cow feeding?

Thank you for any help.

If you purchase a 5 x 4 or a 6 x 4 variable chamber baler you can bale a 4 x 4 silage bale and then bale a larger dry hay bale. A dense 50% moisture 4 x 4 bale will be close to 2000 lbs. In the long run when you go over 2000 lbs. you start to increase the wear on tire, spindles, axles, etc..
  • What size tractors do you have?
  • What type of wrapper are you going to use?
  • Will you feed in multiple areas? Highway travel?
  • Will you use a skid-steer to feed?
This might help you start the decision process.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #6  
Are you buying or selling? :D

Seriously, I presume that you are asking for the purpose of selling hay and/or custom baling for other people.

As already pointed out, over-width loads are a headache. Most standard trailers are 8' wide. (including 18-wheelers) I don't want any roll over 4' in width. That way, two will sit side-by-side without hanging over the trailer deck. Also, you need to be able to see what's behind you. Standard towing mirrors are set up for 8' loads. If you use 5' or 6' wide rolls, you will have HUGE blind areas and that's dangerous.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #7  
My preferred size as a consumer of hay is 4x5 dry hay. With a ~30 HP tractor and a loader that can lift ~1000 lb, this is what my tractor can handle safely when properly ballasted.

If your customers are hobby farms then in my area 4x5 is a good size to go with.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #8  
The 4 x 5 is the most common unit sold.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #9  
I spent a couple years fretting over which bale size/which round baler to buy. ALL my hay gets sold. Until late last year, all of it was small squares. @ 64 years old, I've tossed enough idiot cubes! So round bales it is! After several of my best customers expressed their desire to switch to rounds, it was an easy decision. Just what size?

I ended up with a Vermeer 5410 Rebel. 4X5. That seemed to be the best choice of balers and the best choice of bale size for my needs. I bale the majority as 4X4's. TWO reasons. My customers like that size due to weight (handling) and size (hauling in small pick-ups/small trailers)

Funny thing, we seem to get about the same price for 4X4's as with 4X5's. By doing 4X4's I get more bales per cutting. More or less the same gimmick most of the fast food joints use these days....Smaller portion size instead of raising the price.

I don't do silage bales.

/ Round Bale Preferred Size #10  
I like the big 5x6 when I bale mine but seems like everyone that is selling hay its the 4x5 so they can make more bales,charge same money...