Talk to me about New Holland Haybines

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #1  

missouricountrygirl

Tractor
Kubota M4700
I was wondering if you all could give me an overview of the different models of New Holland Haybines. I know the 472 is a 7 foot, the 488 is a 9 foot and the 492 is a 12 foot. But there are other models that show up like the 499 or 469 etc. What do the model numbers refer to and are they connected to the years they were manufactured. It gets kind of confusing. :confused3: I am looking to buy a 488 as I am putting in 5 acres of brome. I know I won't have much to cut for at least a year or probably 2 so I am in no hurry. Any info or a reference to a place to read up would be great. I just want to have a better understanding of all the model numbers.

Thanks Folks:

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #2  
I was wondering if you all could give me an overview of the different models of New Holland Haybines. I know the 472 is a 7 foot, the 488 is a 9 foot and the 492 is a 12 foot. But there are other models that show up like the 499 or 469 etc. What do the model numbers refer to and are they connected to the years they were manufactured. It gets kind of confusing. :confused3: I am looking to buy a 488 as I am putting in 5 acres of brome. I know I won't have much to cut for at least a year or probably 2 so I am in no hurry. Any info or a reference to a place to read up would be great. I just want to have a better understanding of all the model numbers.

Thanks Folks:

I have a 6-acre hayfield (Kanota oats was the last crop). I'm planning to purchase a new 5-ft drum mower (got tired of messing with my old MF31 sicklebar)

HayMAG Drum Mowers

Don't need conditioning here because of the low humidity. How about in MO? Is conditioning manditory?

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines
Missouri is very humid. In the summer it runs from a low of 60% up to 100% thoroughout the summer so conditioning greatly reduces field time when haying.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #4  
There is quite a variety of models in your list from the 7' cut 472 to the 12' 499!!!

The 469 is the oldest and is a 9' it's smaller 7' brother was a 467.

The bulk of the older ones were a ridgid head with only vertical float where the newer model 489 also gave you lateral float which would be for more unlevel ground.

The 488 is a vertical only machine and the current lteral float is a 492.

The numbers has gone up with production, the first model was 461!

On many the last number is the width of cut.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines
There is quite a variety of models in your list from the 7' cut 472 to the 12' 499!!!

The bulk of the older ones were a ridgid head with only vertical float where the newer model 489 also gave you lateral float which would be for more unlevel ground.

O.K. now that makes sense. Thanks for the info. The hay ground I will be planting is part of the crop ground I currently rent to the farmer so it has been cultivated for years and is flat to a mild slope so the 488 should work for it. Thanks for the input.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #6  
Depending on what you are looking to spend, you may want to consider a discbine. These have a row of cutting discs, kind of like a row of lawn mowers, and conditioning rollers or a set of conditioning flails. Haybines have been getting kind of pricey as you will find out. For a few thousand more, you can have a discbine. The only disadvantage to the discbine is that they are power pigs. MINIMUN 80 HP to run one. If your HP is limited, then you are going to have to go with the haybine, but if you have the horses to turn one of these, you will really like it. Discbines will go through hay like no haybine ever could. Down crops, wet stuff just after a rain, they are amazing.

If any one is doing brome, know that this has to be cut 4-5" off the ground. Cut brome too close one time and you will kill the field. Great hay for all animals, but understand, the stubble needs to be atleast 4" tall. Usually this is impossible to get with the factory settings on a hay bine. You will likely have to make some kind of modification to the skid shields to get this height. You cannot just hold the machine up a little with the hydraulics. It just does not work that way, height is determined by the skid shoes.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #7  
I would go with a drum mower. I have had 3 good mower conditioners over the years none of them are as easy to use and need less repairs as a good drum mower.
Disc mower conditioners are fine but very bulky. If your spending a lot get a new disc mower conditioner w center pivot. If your spending a little get a new or slightly used drum mower.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #8  
Drum mowers are the easiest to maintain and will cut as clean as any but are not available in wider sizes (depending what you expect) As for haybines the old 495 NH (12ft)is probably the most common around here fetching anything from $900 for junk to a beauty i saw this spring make $4600 . I cut 300 acres with a pair of 495's that i payed $2800 and $1800 for ..neither is pretty to look at paintwise but mechanically good .Thing with a used haybine is rollers...a set can be more than the price of the whole machine ..!

Disc mowers are nice but personally i have seen too many beds break up and no brand is exempt . Last mower i rebuilt a bed on was a 5 year old kuhn !

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #9  

The 460 was the first haybine. It came out in 64 the 461 replaced it in 66. We had one with a 6 bat reel. Heavy old thing but it cut hay all right.

/ Talk to me about New Holland Haybines #10  

Thanks Folks:

Actually the 492 is a 9 foot machine not a 12 foot.