Value Leader Implements - OK?

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #1  

Norcal M5

Bronze Member
Hi Folks,
I'm searching for a 6' flail mower and find these guys called "Value Leader" that sell a new 68" flail mower, cat I 3 point for $1,550 with free shipping no less. Great value indeed. Only question is, does this stuff last?! I"m going to use it a few times a year in my 3 ac. vineyard.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I believe it's made in China. Is that a no-no?

Norcal

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #2  
Hi Folks,
I'm searching for a 6' flail mower and find these guys called "Value Leader" that sell a new 68" flail mower, cat I 3 point for $1,550 with free shipping no less. Great value indeed. Only question is, does this stuff last?! I"m going to use it a few times a year in my 3 ac. vineyard.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I believe it's made in China. Is that a no-no?

Norcal

I have that 68" flail from VL. Got it last Aug. Used it 3 times on my 6 acre hayfieldso far to mow the stubble down to nothing. Worked fine. Only problem is the grease zerk on the lower pulley--threads are stripped. I need to retap the hole and install a larger zerk. Quality is about what you'd expect from a Chinese product--nothing to write home about, but the parts fit together OK.

For your application and the price, I'd expect you could get 5 years of good service out of one of these units--provided you kept it lubed according to the schedule in the manual. The gear box appears to be pretty stout.

Around here we have thousands of acres of olive, prune plum, almond and English walnut orchards. These are mowed with much larger flails (Vrismo, Alamo, etc). You won't find one of these little 68" flails in those orchards. Those guys really work their flails hard and can't afford down time to fix busted equipment.

/ Value Leader Implements - OK?
Thanks, Flusher. I also see a company called ABI Attachments and they have a Made in USA logo. Anyone familiar with these guys? About $2200 for a 60" tiller.

Now, seeing more. A compnay called Hawkline is a U.S. company and their tillers are only about $1800 delivered. Anyone know about this equipment? Any other suggestions?

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #5  
Now, seeing more. A compnay called Hawkline is a U.S. company and their tillers are only about $1800 delivered. Anyone know about this equipment? Any other suggestions?

I have a 6-ft Hawkline rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, shredder, slasher). Been using it for the last 3 years. Keep it lubed. Works fine. Well built.

Well, after a season of using the Value Leader mower, I have to say thumbs up so far. Still sounds and feels solid, the blades are all still there. It arrived with nice shiny paint, too. Still too early for conclusions, but looking good so far. The dealer up in Oregon is a good guy too. Note: I noticed that he was moving this one on eBay and I got it for real cheap and it still included the free shipping. :D

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #7  
How's that value leader flail now?

How's that value leader flail now?
Thanks for asking. I'll give the help I wish I'd had on this. The mower is pretty bad from a design and reliability standpoint. It's the only implement I really have to worry about. This was my second year using it and I have been keen to lubed before I use it each season. I mow a 3 acre vineyard twice each year. Right now both bearings on the roller are shot and I had to pay $35 each for new ones. I'll be installing them over the off-season. Additionally, a couple of nuts and bolts holding the brackets to the hitch pins vibrated off and are missing. I wish I had this decision to do over. You don't have to spend outrageous sums to get good machinery, but there are some brands to avoid.

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #9  
Thanks for asking. I'll give the help I wish I'd had on this. The mower is pretty bad from a design and reliability standpoint. It's the only implement I really have to worry about. This was my second year using it and I have been keen to lubed before I use it each season. I mow a 3 acre vineyard twice each year. Right now both bearings on the roller are shot and I had to pay $35 each for new ones. I'll be installing them over the off-season. Additionally, a couple of nuts and bolts holding the brackets to the hitch pins vibrated off and are missing. I wish I had this decision to do over. You don't have to spend outrageous sums to get good machinery, but there are some brands to avoid.

So what would you buy instead?

/ Value Leader Implements - OK? #10  
Since this is a multi-year thread.. Here's my experience with a "tortella" flail mower for contrast. Units was purchased in year 2000 ( tr10) . Was used to mow and mulch vineyard cuttings in a 30 acre vineyard up until 2011 (hammers we replaced once in that period). The Bearings and oil seals and hammers were replaced 2011 when it went to a new owner. Unit has worn trough its skids and they were replaced. It has been mowing and mulching a 25 acre vineyard since 2011. Runs as smooth as did in 2000. Only drawback is it weights 500kg for a 5 foot flail (although we also use if for rolling land smooth). Previous vineyard we had a "Perfect" flail mower 10 acres. It was going on 20 years too ( although it has all kinds of plates welded on where the housing has worn through from rocks hitting the inside). Both of these units are in the 5000-8000 range I believe.