New Holland 479 haybine price?

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Hey guys I got everything but a haybine now. I found one locally for 900 got him down to 800. He mowed 80 acres this past yr with it. Need a,lil sheet metal work where hay goes from cutter bar to rollers. But its not to bad. Top roller is starting to peel on one side about 1ft in. I only have 10 acres of my own n possibly 30 at a neihbors. Has to be way beter then my sickle bar lol. Plus its close enough I can just pull it home. Whats everyones thoughts.

/ New Holland 479 haybine price?
Sorry guys I accidentally posted same thing 3 times. Im not sure how to delete the other 2. Im using the TBN App on my phone and accidentally clicked it to many times. Sorry all

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #3  
Good luck
Im a drum mower user. Had bines years ago. I do have a double action sickle mower. Prefer drum mowers

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #4  
Hey guys I got everything but a haybine now. I found one locally for 900 got him down to 800. He mowed 80 acres this past yr with it. Need a,lil sheet metal work where hay goes from cutter bar to rollers. But its not to bad. Top roller is starting to peel on one side about 1ft in. I only have 10 acres of my own n possibly 30 at a neihbors. Has to be way beter then my sickle bar lol. Plus its close enough I can just pull it home. Whats everyones thoughts.

Hard to say with out seeing the machine. Make sure the cutter bar moves easy and the wobble drive is in good shape. I used one that was very old for about 5 years, it was a good machine. The last 8 years though we have used a disk mower, so it has been a while since I have looked at one.

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #5  
Price a set of roller, and then tell me how good a deal at 800. (pusing 2K for new rollers, just parts) This is the main problem with NH when they age. I think it was designed that way. Their rollers work great when they are right. Good and deep, does a great job conditioning.

What other equipment do you have? Conditioner? Tedder? What kind of rake?

If rollers are bad, and metal is rusted out, it is time for junk pile or to b become a parts machine.

Keep looking, you will find something.

Would rollers out of a nh 1469 self propelled haybine work in tgis nh 479. Are rhis 1469s only good on flat terrain? I hav mostly slopped ground.

Barry Bowen said:
Price a set of roller, and then tell me how good a deal at 800. (pusing 2K for new rollers, just parts) This is the main problem with NH when they age. I think it was designed that way. Their rollers work great when they are right. Good and deep, does a great job conditioning.

What other equipment do you have? Conditioner? Tedder? What kind of rake?

If rollers are bad, and metal is rusted out, it is time for junk pile or to b become a parts machine.

Keep looking, you will find something.

I have a old metal crimper. Just got n HS 8 tedder n also picked up nh 56 rollabar rake.

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #8  
You will get about the same results with the sickle and the crimper as you will with the haybine. It just means two passes to accomplish the same thing. The tedder will make a HUGE difference. Get the hay pretty dry with the tedder as the roll bars are not great for drying windrows, especially compared to the rotarys. Keep looking for a better haybine. You will find one.

How hard is it to put in another set of rollers if I find some?

/ New Holland 479 haybine price? #10  
Depends on how mechanical and inventive you are. The rollers are not light. Pretty straight forward job, remove old, install new, be sure to replace bearings, and then time the rollers and set the gap. Easy enough, but lots of bull work getting the old ones out and the new ones in. Second person with forks on a loader, or some kind of stand or platform to be able to roll them right into place is very helpfull. Generally speaking used rollers that are worth putting any effort into are rare. Maybe not impossible to find, but rare. NH designed it that way, that is that they delaminate the rubber so you have to replace or get a new or newer machine, and there are less used ones running around. If you do replace and all, be sure to store the machine inside. The only thing that really hurts the roller rubber is sunshine. Stored inside, they will last much much longer.