VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar #1  

Larry B 1466

Tractor
IH 1486
I have a LELY 280 Optimo 9ft disc mower that I need to replace the shaft thru the bar. I bought the mower used a few years back and the owners manual that was with it was for a VERMEER 7020 so I am guessing the parts are the same in these two mowers? If I remove the big nut from the end will the units just slip off and will I be able to pull out the old shaft and slip a new one in. I just have to take off the two outside, end , units. the shaft is twisted off between #5 and #6 unit. Is there something inside the gear box that has to come loose or will it slip out and then back in? My local Vermeer dealer is not very familiar with these mowers. I think it should have a one peice square shaft. Any information on how to replace the shaft will be appricated. Thanks Larry

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar #2  
The shaft is the one piece model and may be difficult to remove depending on where the twists are.

Just a few tips. DO NOT use an impact wrench on the "big nut". You will gall the threads. Get a big cheater pipe and a 3/4 or 1 inch breaker bar. Mark all of the units and r/r in the same order. The shaft may be square or hex depending on age. Your Vermeer dealer can get it from his parts or from Lely parts which is based at the Vermeer facility in IA.

Try it see why the shaft broke. Was it a bad cutter unit, did you hit something, or did it have a bunch of twine wrapped under the discs? If you have gear box problems! I would recommend scrapping the mower. The gearbox is $2000 and the mower is notnworthnthat much even with a new gear box.

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar #3  
Also, torque on the big nut is 700 ft/lbs on reassembly with lube.

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar
I got some woven wire wraped up around the two outside units is how I twisted the shaft off.

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar #5  
I have a LELY 280 Optimo 9ft disc mower that I need to replace the shaft thru the bar. I bought the mower used a few years back and the owners manual that was with it was for a VERMEER 7020 so I am guessing the parts are the same in these two mowers? If I remove the big nut from the end will the units just slip off and will I be able to pull out the old shaft and slip a new one in. I just have to take off the two outside, end , units. the shaft is twisted off between #5 and #6 unit. Is there something inside the gear box that has to come loose or will it slip out and then back in? My local Vermeer dealer is not very familiar with these mowers. I think it should have a one peice square shaft. Any information on how to replace the shaft will be appricated. Thanks Larry

the 280 and 7020 are exactly the same mowers with very few differences, each disc housing and spacer should slip off independently, if the shaft is twisted inside of the gear in the pod it will be difficult to get it out but it can be done, if you need any help at all, we have sold both of these mowers and have all the parts and are very familiar in them also.

Travis

/ VERMEER / LELY Disc mower replacing shaft in bar #6  
Here is a shop manual for your Lely Optimo mower. http://haytools.com/public_html/images/Lely_Manuals/Lely_Repair_Manual.pdf