Used planter

/ Used planter #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
I was thinking of growing a few acres of corn this summer. That would put me in the market for a good used planter. Can someone suggest some of the better makes & models and where to look? Would like to find one with plates available for larger seeds like pumpkin also.

/ Used planter
Real nice, but OUCH! It would take forever to get a payback on one that expensive 10 acres of corn and pumpkins a year. May be a better route though.
Is anyone else making them new for small scale guys?

/ Used planter #5  
Real nice, but OUCH! It would take forever to get a payback on one that expensive 10 acres of corn and pumpkins a year. May be a better route though.
Is anyone else making them new for small scale guys?

Did you see the new 1 row Covington system for $1395 ? or the used ones? Ken Sweet

/ Used planter
Yes...they are very nice. I guess I was just expecting a little less, but given the price of corn I'm not surprised. The 2 row would certainly make short work of 5 acres!

/ Used planter #7  
I think Ken also has a 2 row Ford for $695 ... if he's selling it, well you can be sure its ready to plant.

You can find some 2 rows on CL or setting in the woods cheaper BUT will they plant? How many parts will you need to get them going?

/ Used planter #8  
How do you control your row spacing when planting with the three point Covington 1 row planter?

/ Used planter #9  
How do you control your row spacing when planting with the three point Covington 1 row planter?

Well I don't use a one row but I would think the simplest way would be to measure from the center of your tractor to the center off the rear wheel ... if its say 30" then when you turn around drive on the same track ... if it measures say 18" then when you turn around maybe drive on the outside of the track to try and be close to 30" if thats the row spacing you like.

My 2 row is set for 30" rows and center to center on my rear tires is 60" so I just follow the same track back and maintain 30"