Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor?

/ Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor? #1  

UpstateFarmer

Tractor
Allis Chalmers D17 IV
I was wondering what is about the biggest flail mower I could use with a 50 hp AC D17 IV? I suppose weight as well as required power will be factors, especially since our land is hilly (upstate NY). I am thinking that a 6 ft mower seems about right, but would like to go as large as practical, as I will be maintaining between 20-40 acres with it.

/ Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor? #2  
I was wondering what is about the biggest flail mower I could use with a 50 hp AC D17 IV? I suppose weight as well as required power will be factors, especially since our land is hilly (upstate NY). I am thinking that a 6 ft mower seems about right, but would like to go as large as practical, as I will be maintaining between 20-40 acres with it.

You could probably go to 8 feet with no problem with 50hp but you will find that there are very few 8foot flails and they are very expensive in any size over 6ft.

Bigger flails are almost all heavy duty. Medium duty flails seem to be in the 4-6 foot range. I have a 75" Caroni TM1900 that I use on 20 acres and it does a fine job.

There is a long flail thread on TBN that goes over most of the issues you might want to consider. I think it is called something like "let's talk about flails" or something like that. You'll find it if you just search on the flail term.

/ Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor? #3  
You could probably go to 8 feet with no problem with 50hp but you will find that there are very few 8foot flails and they are very expensive in any size over 6ft.

Bigger flails are almost all heavy duty. Medium duty flails seem to be in the 4-6 foot range. I have a 75" Caroni TM1900 that I use on 20 acres and it does a fine job.

There is a long flail thread on TBN that goes over most of the issues you might want to consider. I think it is called something like "let's talk about flails" or something like that. You'll find it if you just search on the flail term.

Here it is:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/118882-lets-talk-flail-mowers.html

/ Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor?
Thanks so much for the replies. I should have done my homework first and checked the archives - what a great thread! More like an encyclopedia. Looks like I should be able to handle a 6 footer with ease, and probably should be looking at 7 feet or so.

/ Biggest Flail Mower for 50 hp Tractor? #5  
I recently bought a 5' at auction and my MX5100 spins it without any effort so I am sure a 6' would be very easy. The flail weighs a bit over 1200lbs and is a HD model so watch your weigh if you get a HD model in a 7 or 8' model as it maybe tough on the hills.