John deere FB Grain drill

/ John deere FB Grain drill #1  

syssl

Tractor
jd2240, mf250, IH super A
I purchased what I was told was a good used Grain Drill, I have got the flutes and gears ( gears war broke) working, I will have to wait on the fertilizer side for now, but when I tested the drill the disk went down when I pulled the cord and flute turned OK, but approx. every 15 ft. the disk will lift for about 5 ft and then go back down. does anyone know why or what i need to adjust to keep the disk down during operation.

/ John deere FB Grain drill #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ John deere FB Grain drill #6  
Im almost certain you have a chain link that is binding on the drive where the gear to the trip lever is located. I'm guessing that a bound link is causing the cog for the release to mind momentarily causing the coulters to lift and once it passes the cog it is dropping back down again. Inspect the chain drives and hit them with a good coat of used motor oil and it should free up and won't happen anymore.

/ John deere FB Grain drill #7  
I purchased what I was told was a good used Grain Drill, I have got the flutes and gears ( gears war broke) working, I will have to wait on the fertilizer side for now, but when I tested the drill the disk went down when I pulled the cord and flute turned OK, but approx. every 15 ft. the disk will lift for about 5 ft and then go back down. does anyone know why or what i need to adjust to keep the disk down during operation.

Welcome to TBN--join the fun.

Could be that the trip clutch(s) need to be cleaned and the chains checked for binding/jamming.

I rebuilt two Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drills a few years ago (10 ft wide, 20 drops, 6" row spacing, steel wheels). I modified the one I use for planting my 6 acre hayfield by adding a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the openers.

Drill-hyd ram.JPGDrill-5.jpgDrill-6.JPG

Good luck

/ John deere FB Grain drill #8  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Ag Tractors & Machinery Forum.

/ John deere FB Grain drill #9  

It sounds like the spring in the power lift is broken, missing, or stretched. Try taking the power lift off, disassemble and clean it, and see if the spring is in there. Put a thin coat of grease on all the flat mating surfaces. If the spring is broken, it doesn't allow the clutch to engage and lock, up or down. Just about every power lift I've taken apart, the spring was broke. JD part #S918 M, Throw Out Spring. It's a very simple mechanism, not too much to go wrong. HTH Mark