9 shank cultivator

/ 9 shank cultivator #1  

TexasChris

Tractor
Massey 135
I need an opion a nine shank cultivator such as the fred cain cultivators that have the springs on the shanks how many horsepower do you need to pull them and how deep will they penetrate into the ground?

Thanks
Chris

/ 9 shank cultivator #2  
I have a Kubota MX5100 HST 4x4 The attached picture is a 9 shank old Ford cultivator.

I was in low gear running about 2500 rpm. It was running pretty deep.

My soil is sandy loam.

029-1.jpg

What HP Tractor do you have.

/ 9 shank cultivator
I have a 35 hp 2wd. I suppose if it is strong enough to pull it that with enough passes it will eventualy go deep enough? If I knew I could get my ground that tilled up with one I'd purchase one tomorrow!

/ 9 shank cultivator #4  
We just recently purchased a fred cain ripper a few weeks ago. We had ordered a 7 shank ripper and once we got it we found it it didn't quite cover up the tractor's tracks so we order 2 more shanks and put them on so now it is currently a 9 shank. I used it for the first time last weekend and it worked great. I pulled it with a JD 5055e low gear about 1500 rpm with 4 wheel drive. We have really rocky soil and the great thing about it was it would pull big rocks up out of the soil and i could just go around with the grapple and pick them up. I measured the depth and the shanks go in the ground about 13 inches. I it really helped to loosen the soil. A great investment.

I'm not sure how 35 hp in two wheel drive would do. I would probably get a 7 shank and if it does well then buy 2 more shanks to put on it. I suppose some if it depends on the weight of your machine. The JD didn't like to pull the ripper in 2wd.