Hay rakes and tedders

/ Hay rakes and tedders #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
I'm in the market for a new v rake or rotary rake and a bigger tedder. The dealer I have done most of my purchasing from in the past only has Rhino brand and only 10 wheels. I hadn't heard much about Rhino rakes in the past so I thought I'd post here. Is Rhino a good brand rake? Are others of the same quality cheaper? How do rotary rakes compare in price and quality?
Next is tedders. I have a sitrex and have had 0 problems with it in 7 years. Is Rhino on the same quality level with sitrex?
I just want to get the best bang for my buck in atleast an 8 wheel v rake or comparable rotary and a good 4 basket tedder. Both would need to be hydraulic fold.

/ Hay rakes and tedders #2  
i have a sitrex 8 wheel rake and i like it.it is about 15 years old .i have overloaded it in real heavy hay so i would not want a 10 wheel.i think sitrex equipment is sold under several brands,rhino may be one.compare some pictures.

/ Hay rakes and tedders #3  
Just a warning about the tedders, I've been told that the cheap 2 basket tedders have no problems, but the 4 basket versions of the same are not as rugged.

/ Hay rakes and tedders
Just a warning about the tedders, I've been told that the cheap 2 basket tedders have no problems, but the 4 basket versions of the same are not as rugged.

Are you suggesting that Sitrex or Rhino is a cheap tedder? I've not priced either brand yet...wanted to hear from folks using them first.

/ Hay rakes and tedders
Also there are 2 different v rakes available...one is an ER and the other SWR...what's the difference?

/ Hay rakes and tedders #6  
I've been looking at 4-basket tedders, too. I've got a 2-basket NH, that's a real beast! Too heavy, and it can really beat the leaves off of the hay! :mad:

Have a Kuhn rotary rake that is the cat's PJ's! Will move heavy, hay into big, tall windrows! No twisting or roping - and the air just moves!!! :thumbsup:

Got a quote for the HD model Kuhn; think it's the 5202 model - $7,100. They've got a 0% financing program right now, too.

Don't know alot about Sitrex or Rhino, though.

AKfish

/ Hay rakes and tedders #8  
I just got a new Vermeer WR20 8wheel rake $2500 hay rake.jpg,been seeing alot of Kuhn lately,havent ever got to use anything other than the Vermeer...

/ Hay rakes and tedders #9  
I just got a new Vermeer WR20 8wheel rake $2500 View attachment 264334,been seeing alot of Kuhn lately,havent ever got to use anything other than the Vermeer...
How does a wheel rake like that compare to a side delivery rake?
Been looking at adding a 2nd side delivery rake and a dual rake hitch, but that would run almost the same price as that wheel rake (minimum of $2000 to buy the rake and hitch), running one side delivery rake too slow at times whenw e need to merge several light rows.

Aaron Z

/ Hay rakes and tedders #10  
How does a wheel rake like that compare to a side delivery rake?
Been looking at adding a 2nd side delivery rake and a dual rake hitch, but that would run almost the same price as that wheel rake (minimum of $2000 to buy the rake and hitch), running one side delivery rake too slow at times whenw e need to merge several light rows.

Aaron Z

I can only go off what I have heard that the rake you are using get less dirt in the windrow. In years with several different folks baling are place have never seen anything but a wheel rake used,and when I baled years ago I only ran wheel rakes. I guess most use them cause its low priced and gets the job done but I would bet if gonna sell horse quality hay would wonna use something like you have or the big dollar pto rake. I found a vid [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIoeGG4PEM&feature=player_detailpageeo[/ame]