anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake?

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #1  

cowski

Platinum Member
Tractor
cx70,5510,4630,5005, 108s
i was thinking about getting a center wheel for my v-rake.how good do they work?

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #2  
Without using one..... the center 3-5 ft of your cut hay does not get raked, so the sun and air can cure it. Ken Sweet

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake?
one wheel will not rake 5 foot.so how much will it rake? does it make the windrow uneven? does it plug up easier?

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #4  
It depends on how you use your v rake now. If you windrow your hay when you cut it, then just use your V to merge two windrows then the center kicker wheel won't do a whole lot. As Ken somewhat hinted to, they are designed to turn the hay in the center. Turning the hay over in the center is much more critical if you ted the hay, or just lay it out flat when you cut it. Whitout knowing your process it's kind of hard to say if it would be usefull to you.

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #5  
Without using one..... the center 3-5 ft of your cut hay does not get raked, so the sun and air can cure it. Ken Sweet

+1.
If you make hay in an area where final drying occurs in the windrow after raking, a center (kicker) wheel will probably make the difference between being happy with a wheel rake and hating one.

i have had a 8 wheel rake for at least 15 years.the only problem i have had is the baler not picking up the hay that does not get raked.i end up running the baler pickup lower.i got a new rake this year and thought about adding a center wheel.my dealer does not recommend one.he said that they plug up easier ,make a uneven windrow and does not rake it all any way.no one uses one around me,what do you think?

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #7  
i have had a 8 wheel rake for at least 15 years.the only problem i have had is the baler not picking up the hay that does not get raked.i end up running the baler pickup lower.i got a new rake this year and thought about adding a center wheel.my dealer does not recommend one.he said that they plug up easier ,make a uneven windrow and does not rake it all any way.no one uses one around me,what do you think?

I think you had your answer before you posted the question.

I think you had your answer before you posted the question.

i guess your in agreement that they are not worth much.i was hoping for a different answer from someone who actually used one since i have not.

/ anyone have a center wheel on your v-rake? #9  
i guess your in agreement that they are not worth much.i was hoping for a different answer from someone who actually used one since i have not.

I haven't used a V style wheel rake. But I also haven't ever had much luck trying to make dry hay by leaving 10-20% of the swath unraked. It simply won't dry completely in the humid Northeast.
You might try posting the brand and model of rake you are asking about. Different designs are surely more or less prone to plugging than others. If kicker wheels were completely worthless, nobody would offer them. You might also try a forum like New Ag Talk which is more suitable for gathering information about mainstream Ag equipment. There are more folks over there who will have experience with any similar rake than you will find here.

Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk

hey rickb thanks for the response and recommending agtalk .in alabama hay drys quickly that 10% does not hurt. other than the hay loss .i just got a vermeer wo 20 v rake.thanks for any other thoughts.