Planting corn

/ Planting corn #1  

Allenfarm

Tractor
Kabota M7040
If I wanted to plant about 10 acres of corn and I don't have a row planter what would be the best way to go about doing this? I have a plow to cut rows, but nothing to plant seeds in rows with, any suggestions?

/ Planting corn #2  
Io acres is a lot of ground to cover in a rinky dink way. The best thing is to find a neighbour and hire him to do it. The next thing is to buy a small one row gardeners planter, garden-way I think is a brand name. Remember that this way will take days and result in a lot of aching muscles and blisters.

/ Planting corn #3  
You could plant broadcast and then drag soil over it. That's a horribly inefficient way to plant 10 acres, and you don't get rows that you can run a mechanical picker down.

/ Planting corn #4  
For 10 acres, I'd probably see if one of the local farmers who has equipment would be interested in planting it for you, especially if you're just getting started or not familiar with planters.

But if you're set on doing it yourself, I'd look around for a 2 or 4 row planter at farm sales and ask around at the local ag equipment dealers. They may know someone who wants to sell that size equipment.

This size has also become popular for wildlife foodplots, so you might ask around to see if you can find someone doing foodplots to do your 10 acres.

/ Planting corn #5  
I am about to do mine with an ATV spreader.I don't care about rows;everything is left until spring.Wildlife food plots.

/ Planting corn
Ok, one more question. If I broadcast the seed, If I use a plow to cover seed and pull it back to rows would that work, Or would that cover it too much?

/ Planting corn
"What do you plan to do if it grows? Pick by hand?"

Ill figure that out when I get there. Ill pick what I want then let the wildlife have the rest, Or I'll hire a neighbors machine.

/ Planting corn #9  
You could plant broadcast and then drag soil over it. That's a horribly inefficient way to plant 10 acres, and you don't get rows that you can run a mechanical picker down.

Righto--and the birds will feast on your corn seed:eek:. You'll be lucky to get 50% germination via broadcasting. Money down the drain, IMHO.

/ Planting corn #10  
Righto--and the birds will feast on your corn seed:eek:. You'll be lucky to get 50% germination via broadcasting. Money down the drain, IMHO.

Yeah, that's one reason why the Europeans starved for so long.

Of course that was before they had tractors!