Plastic twine for round baler

/ Plastic twine for round baler #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
I just bought a new-to-me Case/IH 8430 round baler and need twine. I learned my lesson buying sisal for my small square baler at Tractor Supply, but what about plastic? Good to buy anywhere or does that too have crap brands?

/ Plastic twine for round baler #2  
I just bought a new-to-me Case/IH 8430 round baler and need twine. I learned my lesson buying sisal for my small square baler at Tractor Supply, but what about plastic? Good to buy anywhere or does that too have crap brands?

Thats the same baler I have and you will love that little baler. I use the 110 lb (plastic) from tractor supply ... always works well.

Keep the cutter blade clean and sharp ... sometimes the residue of the twine will biuld up on the cutter. Also never twine wrap all the way to the end of the twine marker ... for some reason that misses the bale edge. I stop at the second mark on each end.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 510
   / Plastic twine for round baler
Thanks for the info and tip! I've never used any round baler before, I'm going to need all the advice I can get! :confused2:

What HP is your tractor? I need to make this work with my Ford 4100.

/ Plastic twine for round baler #4  
Thanks for the info and tip! I've never used any round baler before, I'm going to need all the advice I can get! :confused2:

I'll never forget the first time for me ... it was with my case IH and I thought this can't be hard. I read the manual and off I went ... all of a sudden that monitor alarm went off and I says darn that didn't take long ... on with the twine and out with the bale ... about 3' on one end and 18" on the other with sting hanging off both ends. Learned real quick the alarm was simply a device to alert me to the fact the chamber was getting full.

When the alarm sounds start watching the bale indicator and just before its at the max ... stop. Back up ... wrap the twine then open the gate ... drive forward to make the next bale.

I get a better uniform bale with mine putting more hay on the left side ... I hug to the right of the windrow keeping the front left tire of the tractor near the row.

Find a good spray on chain lube for the chains, keep it greased and it will eat up the hay.

I have one bearing on mine that always needs to be replaced about every 250-300 bales ... I don't know why it just wears out. I have learned to have that on hand and you will feel the vibration when its getting ready to fail.

/ Plastic twine for round baler #5  
Forgot ... that tractor is 43 hp engine ... your baler is designed for 40 hp

/ Plastic twine for round baler
Thanks again. Mine seems to be strictly mechanical, will there be some kind of alarm if it's not connected to 12V?

/ Plastic twine for round baler #7  
I've used the 110 and 130 lb twine from TSC in my 335 JD round baler, and no problems so far. Been using it for 7-8 years now.

The alarm on mine goes off at about 3/4 stage, giving you a chance to get the bale evened up.

/ Plastic twine for round baler #8  
Thanks again. Mine seems to be strictly mechanical, will there be some kind of alarm if it's not connected to 12V?

You should have a monitor that will mount to the tractor ... How many hydraulic hose's do you have?

I have two hose that plug into the tractor for the tailgate and a set of wires that plug in for the electric tie ... therefore the monitor so I can tie the bale.

Thinking about it maybe you have hydraulic tie and hydraulic tailgate and need two rear hydraulic remotes ... I quess then maybe a monitor would not be needed.

/ Plastic twine for round baler #9  
I've used the 110 and 130 lb twine from TSC in my 335 JD round baler, and no problems so far. Been using it for 7-8 years now.

The alarm on mine goes off at about 3/4 stage, giving you a chance to get the bale evened up.

Thats about when my alarm sounds and even then its hard to get the perfect "even" bale.

/ Plastic twine for round baler #10  
I've used the plastic and Sisal from TSC and never had a problem with either.