Looking for a round baler

/ Looking for a round baler #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
Here is my situation. Neighbor lady who is a widow has 13 acres she enrolled in a government hay program. She told me that if I did the work, she would pay for the supplies and I could have the hay. She's had some issues with stuff disappearing and she thinks that if someone (being me and my Dad) are seen going in and out and just generally being seen around that it will stop so the price is worth it to her. I even tried to explain how expensive fertilizer was, but she didn't care. Extention office even tried to explain how expensive it would be, still didn't care.

I have a MF 124 square baler, but it's impossible to find help anymore so I'm looking for a round baler. I'm new to the round baling scene, so I'm kinda lost. I have a John Deere 5065 which is 53 hp at the pto, so nothing that makes a bigger bale than a 4x5 or 5x5 (I assume?). The fields are not steep and fairly smooth. I'm not looking to break the bank and I don't need the latest and greatest equipment. I just want something that will work easily and reliably. What are some things to look for? What features should be must have? Belt or chain? I'd like to spend $5000 or less.

Locally I've located from private individuals:

IH 8440 round baler
HESSTON 5500
New Holand 851 automatic tie
Vermeer 605F

/ Looking for a round baler #2  
if you are going to sell the hay?i would get a 4x5 like a john deere 385 or newer.the balers that make 4x6 bales take more horsepower.i prefer jd and vermeer balers so that is what i recommend.

/ Looking for a round baler #3  
i would try and find a 640 or 644 nh they or one of the best balers ever made with auto wrap and most user friendly with the least electronics

/ Looking for a round baler
if you are going to sell the hay?i would get a 4x5 like a john deere 385 or newer.the balers that make 4x6 bales take more horsepower.i prefer jd and vermeer balers so that is what i recommend.

About half of the hay will be sold. The rest will be fed to my donkeys and goats.

/ Looking for a round baler #5  
I can tell you right now that the Vermeer 605 is way too big for your equipment and at least around here those big bales don't sell very good either. I would look into a vermeer 504 maybe or a John Deere of some sort. I like the way the vermeer and Deere balers seem to roll tighter bales than the NH. Just my 2 cents though.

/ Looking for a round baler #7  
I can tell you right now that the Vermeer 605 is way too big for your equipment and at least around here those big bales don't sell very good either. I would look into a vermeer 504 maybe or a John Deere of some sort. I like the way the vermeer and Deere balers seem to roll tighter bales than the NH. Just my 2 cents though.

if you bale a full bale with a nh it will be really tight if you know what your doing all but the 6 or 9 in. core because they are a soft core baler which makes it easier to eat

/ Looking for a round baler #8  

no baler makes a tighter bale than a NH. i have Deere customers that have always owned a green baler that trade for a NH becuase the bales are much tighter, heavier, uniform, and more consitant, and after a year or less, go look at a Deere bale, it will be flat and squating. NH will not be. this is coming from customers, not my 2 cents but customers.......

/ Looking for a round baler #9  
A JD 448 it will make a 35" to 51" bale only has the electric tie, an option, and beeper alarm as far as electronics so it's fairly simple. My wife has one. It's baled over 1000 bales so far and is working out fine. Only needs 45hp to pull it, she pulls it with an over 100hp tractor so not sure how well it does with around 50.

/ Looking for a round baler #10  
Are you trying to make money or get your money back without selling the equipment?
If yes then 13 ac might make 4 or 5 rolls/ac of the 5 by 4 size first cut and 2 rolls on later cuts. so the rolls of decent hay might be worth 20 each.
My hay cash cost is just a bit over $18 per roll when it drops out the roller.
What are you looking to spend and do you need it back before you sell the baler?

Decide then shop ebay craigs list local dealers fast line and tractor house with your willing to spend limits.