Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #1  

mikebar909

I just bought a ford 552 at the end of last year.
I am baling hay, and have a question.

How do you start the twine on the bale?
Can't figure out how to thread the twine. Where do I tie the end to?
The manual said there is a hydraulic set up for the twine, this one has an electric motor in its place.

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #2  
i have a gehl 1400 baler on mine i have a toggo switch in the cab that run to a eletric motor on the baler that runs the twine down to the pickup for the hay to grab and pull in the bale chamber . when you get the roll full size and are ready to tie you push the toggo switch and the twine bar feeds the string to the bale when the twine starts bump the toggo switch back to home to complet the tieing . hope this helps

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem
Ok, I have followed the instructions and threaded the string all the way through the bar that would feed it to the bale.
There is a cutter on the left side.
Do I run the twine through the cutter some how?
Do I tie the twine off to something at the end like on my square baler?
Where does the string get picked up to feed the bale.

I have been cutting my own hay for about 5 years now and using a square baler.
Got this unit to do about 50 bales a year to add to the square bales I do.
Seems to work fine, I just cant get it to tie the bale.

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #4  
you should have a motor that runs the twine tube . if not it will be a manual feed their would be a rope to pull and trip the twine tube in that case . once you feed the twine through the tube you leave about 5to 6 inchs hange out the end . you bring the tube all the way to home on my baler its the left side facing the baler . you start rolling your bale when your gage at the top of the baler get almost were you want to stop you drop the twine tube down so the hay you are picking up will start the string on the roll . the blads on the side will cut the string when you return home from tying your bale . soon as the string cuts turn off the baler backup about 10 feet open rear gate kick out bale then pull up enough that you can close the gate with out hitting the bale. start the roller with the gat up to realine the belts on the way back down . make sure the gate latches befor you start picking up hay agine . hope this helps you out they are very simple to run once get the hang of it .

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #5  
I have a 551 ford and encountered similar problems with the tying mech but seem to have it resolved by using crop to start the line. The problem I have now is the gate does not seem to be opening properly when the bale is done and I have to use a bar to open the catches. Am I doing something wrong?

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem
John2145 said:
I have a 551 ford and encountered similar problems with the tying mech but seem to have it resolved by using crop to start the line. The problem I have now is the gate does not seem to be opening properly when the bale is done and I have to use a bar to open the catches. Am I doing something wrong?

I had a similar problem with the 552 when I first got it. It worked fine with one of my tractors, the other tractor the gate just wouldn't budge. Since it worked with one tractor, I knew it wasn't the baler. I changed h hydraulic fluid and it works good.

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #7  
jhon2145 you may be over filling the bale chamber just enough to put to much tension on your latches . next time you bale with it try stoping just shy were you usaly do . there is a set of rods on the rear gate to ajust the gate latches also the rpms will afect the flow of oil presure to make the gate open hope this helps .

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #8  
Have you figured it out yet? I am still running a Ford 552 baler.....just figured i might could help?

/ Ford 552/gehl 1500 round baler problem #9  
you should have a motor that runs the twine tube . if not it will be a manual feed their would be a rope to pull and trip the twine tube in that case . once you feed the twine through the tube you leave about 5to 6 inchs hange out the end . you bring the tube all the way to home on my baler its the left side facing the baler . you start rolling your bale when your gage at the top of the baler get almost were you want to stop you drop the twine tube down so the hay you are picking up will start the string on the roll . the blads on the side will cut the string when you return home from tying your bale . soon as the string cuts turn off the baler backup about 10 feet open rear gate kick out bale then pull up enough that you can close the gate with out hitting the bale. start the roller with the gat up to realine the belts on the way back down . make sure the gate latches befor you start picking up hay agine . hope this helps you out they are very simple to run once get the hang of it .

If I understand your question right, this is your answer. (in red by crowe farm above) You can't stop forward motion, without hay being picked up to drag your twine into the bale to start it.