Vermeer 554XL Balers

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #1  

Greg_Phillips

Tractor
CaseIH Maxxum 125
Any one used a Vermeer 554XL baler? I am looking to upgrade our current baler (Vermeer 605G) wanting to go to a 4' wide bale for ease of transportation. I have seen a couple of 554XLs for sale locally and just wondered if any one has run one and can give me any feedback?

Thanks guys

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #2  
Don't know about the 554XL but I think you will like the 4 ft wide it is very nice to load and haul. Good luck.

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #3  
That is a pretty good model. Make sure the chains, sprockets and teeth are serviceable.

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #4  
The Vermeer 554XL is an excellent baler with drop and go which means you do not have to shut the PTO off to dump a bale. If you are on a hill you might want to stop the PTO to dump the bale so the bale does not roll through and fence or hit something.

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #5  
I use a 555xl at work and assume they are basically the same baler. I like it very much, very hard to stop up and makes a nice tight roll. I call it Pac Man because it will eat such a large amount of hay!

image-3748217841.jpg

/ Vermeer 554XL Balers #6  
I've read some negative reviews of the XL's, but I never had any real complaints about mine. They'll bale hay with water squishing out of it and bale any size windrow as long as your tractor will go over it. They'll also bale up those big windrows a lot faster than I want to ride. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you ever come across one of those green balers broke down in the windrow, you can probably just gobble it on up without even slowing down.