Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #1  

3600Paul

Tractor
Kubota L3600
Hello all,

I first posted this in the New Holland Forum, but I think this is the right place for the post.

I have a question about the operation of a NH Haybine 472.

While cutting today the rubber roller lugs on the bottom roller started to peel off, exposing about 1 foot of the steel cylinder. Prior to operation the upper and lower roller lugs seemed to be properly interleaved and the mo-co worked fine. Also the mo-co was just checked over by a new holland mechanic at a local dealer.

I would like to finish the cutting without delay. The rollers are very expensive and will probably take a long time to have repaired. My question is: Can I disengage the rollers by removing the drive chains and just use the 472 as a cutter. I would then make a pass with a rake to form windrows.

Thanks for you thoughts,
Paul

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #2  
Nope. Hay won't pass thru the blocked passage. It will build up in about 10' and spit out the reel like a tornado.

Just run them the way it is. Even if ALL the roll grid comes off, you will get hay cut, some conditioning and the job done. Watch out for other pieces coming off and coming at you from behind. Maybe want to check your PTO rpm. It may be a bit too fast....

Have you checked to see if the rolls are in register? That means the grid indentations match the embossed pattern on the opposite roll. If one of the chains is loose, they can get out of register when a clump goes thru because the chain jumps a few teeth. There is an adjustable sprocket on one of them to fine tune this interaction. They are not supposed to touch. Look for edge rubbings, too. That's what starts it. Also I recommend cutting out any other loose rubber from a roll. Hay and dirt get trapped under it that aggrevates the situation IMHO.

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #3  
Here in the northeast our rocks start cutting the rubber, then moisture gets in and during the winter the ater freezes lifting the rubber off the steel. That is how they start chunking out and it's not just a new holland problem but a problem with molded rubber rolls and cold. For those that care about long life with them it is good to seal the cuts.

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage
zzvyb6

Thank you for the advice. I cut the remaining damaged rubber roller from the steel cylinder. The Haybine now works fine.

When I started to cut before the damage, the rollers seemed to be timed properly. After the damage, I did a complete inspection and tuned it up according to the reference manuals. Maybe too little too late.

The PTO speed is a tic mark on the tachometer. To be on the safe side, I am now running about 100 RPM low.

Again thank you.

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage
There are cuts and cracks on the remaining roller. It looks like age. How would you suggest sealing the cuts and cracks?

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #6  
There are cuts and cracks on the remaining roller. It looks like age. How would you suggest sealing the cuts and cracks?

Silicone based concrete crack sealer. However, your customers may not like having gummy bears in their hay....

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #7  
"Shoe Goop" or "Amazing Goop" or "Household Goop" (really any of the Goop named products) might be worth a shot as they are all very similar. The Goop products are much more adhesive than a Silicone based caulking type product yet are still very flexible. Hopefully ART willl chime back in with a Dealer recommendation.

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #8  
In our experience with a NH 489, in heavy yields the missing chunks became a serious problem causing wrapping of hay in the rollers within feet whenever you cut crop that was longer than the circumference of the roller. I was getting 20-30 massive clogs per acre even leaving it to build up and let unconditioned hay through. Cutting all the loose rubber off didn't help.

I'd recommend looking for a new mower or replacing rolls. Around here with rocks the IH stacked rubber rollers last much much longer and are just as quiet.