ford 532 baler timing.

/ ford 532 baler timing. #1  

dangson

HELP .A ford 532 baler we were using pretty much self distructed after the rake that feeds the hay chamber broke and fell into the chamber. The ram hit it, broke the chain,and bent the shaft that drives the feeder. We finally got the shaft straightened and a new chain put on .We set the timing to where the needles were just coming up before the ram cleared them. We ran the baler empty numerous times. But when we started to bale, the teeth broke .I think it was the ram but not sure. How do i set the timing if I set it wrong the first time?

/ ford 532 baler timing. #2  
What teeth are you refering to?

/ ford 532 baler timing.
Sorry .I ment needles

/ ford 532 baler timing. #4  
Look in the front box,and see if there is a timing diagram.Should be stuck on the inside wall or lid.

/ ford 532 baler timing.
LOL I have seen that thing numerous times and didnt realize what it was. Man. Is my face red.
Thanks.

/ ford 532 baler timing. #6  
LOL I have seen that thing numerous times and didnt realize what it was. Man. Is my face red.
Thanks.

On deere balers I have seen people mistime the baler because people think the plunger needs to be moving back away from the needles. The plunger should be moving forward to hold the hay while the needles come up through. Too soon then they come up through the hay, too late and the hay charge pushes back against them and can cause them to hit the knotter and/or break.

The plunger should have 2 grooves in the face for the needles to come up through while it is holding the hay charge. Also make sure the hay dogs are working and if you have anything on the sides of the chamber to hold the hay that they aren't worn too much. Deere had these plates that looked like a cheese grater.

/ ford 532 baler timing.
I set the timing according to the timing diagram." Needles 1/4" into the chamber when the edge ram is 1"-2" past them on the compression rearward stroke." What do they mean by Compression rearward? On the second time I tripped the baler to tye a knot, the needles came up is the ram was moving away from the hay toward the flywheel end.Did I miss something somewhere? I tried it several times and it did the same thing. Are the needles supposed to be all the way up when the ram is all the way up against the hay?

/ ford 532 baler timing. #8  
I will try and explain better than I did. The ram is still compressing, going away from the fly wheel/tractor as the needles enter the chamber. When the needles are up at the knotter, the plunger should be close to max stroke/compression. As the needles pull back down the plunger pulls back towards the flywheel/tractor end of the baler. There should be alley ways fro the needles to come up without hitting any part of the plunger.

Or at least on a Deere 336 this is how it should be timed. I've seen many people though think the plunger should be moving towards the tractor when the needles come up. This is not the case, because the hay in the chamber will press against the needles.

Also Yes the ram/plunger needs to be against the hay when the needles are up.

/ ford 532 baler timing. #9  
Like JasG said.The needles start in as the plunger is on the push stroke. You have the timing way off. Takes awhile to get it right.You have to jump the chain on the sprockets,trip it,and turn it over by HAND until you have the needles starting into the chamber after the face has passed .If they start in too soon,the hay the plunger is pushing will catch on the needles and break them.You need to make sure the safety dog on the side of the bale chamber(above wheel) is working.It is supposed to stop the plunger from hitting the needles,if it is out of time.It has a spring,and some linkage hooked to the needle arm.The other thing to check,is the slip clutch on the flywheel,they rust up,and could break the drive shaft,or PTO if the safety dog stops the plunger.