Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota

Default Vermeer 505M belts

I have a couple of belts on my Vermeer 505M round baler that the alligator splices need replacing as the belts are torn at them. Will it be okay to cut a couple inches off the belts and put new ones in? Should I take all the belts out and re-size all a like? Thanks for any help.

Tractor
    Yes

Default Re: Vermeer 505M belts

Quote Originally Posted by jltrent View Post
    I have a couple of belts on my Vermeer 505M round baler that the alligator splices need replacing as the belts are torn at them. Will it be okay to cut a couple inches off the belts and put new ones in? Should I take all the belts out and re-size all a like? Thanks for any help.
    You shouldn't need to take off a couple of inches. If you pull all of the hooks out and cut it square along the holes, you can probably get by with about one-half inch or less per end. I'm kinda lazy and a tightwad, too, so I'd just do the ones you need to do if you can get by without cutting off too much. There's probably more difference than that in them by now, anyway.
    Buck

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

It's best to pull them all and cut them to the same length and resplice them all.
    Use the shortest belt as your guide,use a sharp stanly knife and cut them square to the length using a carpentry square as a guide to cut along.
    A couple inches shorter belts won't affect the bale dia to much, but using a shorter belt than the others will put undue strain on the shorter belt(s) splice and it might fail in short order.

Anyway,that is my experience.
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota

Thanks for the reply. I took all the belts out and cut them to the same length. I ended up cutting off around 3" to get them all the same. (4 belts are 10" longer than the other four belts) The repair manual I have says you can cut up to 10" off, but no more. I put new alligator splices in and squared them up real good before mounting to the belts.