Veteran Member

Default Deere corn planter fertilizer bins

A friend has an older Deere planter I think it's a 1240, 4 row . The unit is still in good shape and works except for the fertilizer bins. They being made of metal have finally rusted and wore through.

Any ideas on a source for replacement bins, I think we would prefer plastic due to they should never fail.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    AC C, AC 170 gas, AC 180 diesel, Agco Allis 8630 FWA diesel, Farmall H, Farmall M

Default Re: Deere corn planter fertilizer bins

I bought a JD 1240 in 1987 with the fertilizer boxes already rusted out. I kept patching for 2 or 3 years with sheet metal & screws. Finally in 89 or 90, I had a local welding shop make some new boxes. I thought I would be very diligent and wash them out after each season. And I was. I disassembled & washed as soon after planting as was practical. Now it's 22 years later and their starting to rust out again.
    However, in the past 22 years, I've gained more tools and abilities. Now I have a wire feed welder & know how to use it. I'll do the patch work & make it last another 22 years, then I can retire.
    New planters come with fiberglass hoppers, much better than steel. With the 1240 being so old, I'm not sure there is a fiberglass or plastic retrofit. All you can do is ask your JD dealer. Good luck!