348 jd baler

/ 348 jd baler #1  

tradition15

Tractor
john deere
have 348 twine baler that has a intermenent needle problem it may do 20 or do 400 bales then will leave needles up in baler. Can pull needles back to home and it will reset itself and run for awhile again with no problems need info on problem as dealer has no ideas on a square baler

/ 348 jd baler #2  
There is an arm that cycles the needles follow it up and it is attached to a cam type of device on the outside of the baler. Something is worn so it is not fully cycling the needles. There should be a large gear that has a ramped step inside of it. When the knotter trips a bearing should drop against this ramp and cycle the needles. I would think the bearing is slipping from this ramp and stopping. This would be if you haven't broken a shear pin.

It's been a while since I have worked on one of these, going by poor memory. That is how I remember it, I may not be explaining it very well..

/ 348 jd baler #3  
have 348 twine baler that has a intermenent needle problem it may do 20 or do 400 bales then will leave needles up in baler. Can pull needles back to home and it will reset itself and run for awhile again with no problems need info on problem as dealer has no ideas on a square baler
Have you checked the Timing of your Baler?

The procedure is in your Operator's manual