Tractor
    New Holland TC35

Default Found a John Deere #5 Sickle Mower

I just moved into my new place, While out exploring the back 40 I found a John deere #5 sickle mower in a bush(bush was growing through/around the sickle Mower) A quick investigation found that all the parts are there and its not rotted out. I've been looking for a sickle mower for a while now, and with finding this one is like winning the lottery. It still has the wooden grass board and the wooden I believe the wooden pitman(which will need to be replaced, but at least I have the old one for a pattern. The knives still have serations on them, and the bar doesn't look like its bent. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it pulled out of the bushes/trees. Would this be worth restoring this winter??

Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Default Re: Found a John Deere #5 Sickle Mower

is it a 3pt hitch type? or pull behind (like sickle on a trailer tires?) or does it fit up under the middle of tractor like a belly mower?) or does it have specific mounts for rear end of unknown old tractor?

it all depends on how it mounts to tractor.
    Ryan

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by hunterbrooksfarm View Post
    I just moved into my new place, While out exploring the back 40 I found a John deere #5 sickle mower in a bush(bush was growing through/around the sickle Mower) A quick investigation found that all the parts are there and its not rotted out. I've been looking for a sickle mower for a while now, and with finding this one is like winning the lottery. It still has the wooden grass board and the wooden I believe the wooden pitman(which will need to be replaced, but at least I have the old one for a pattern. The knives still have serations on them, and the bar doesn't look like its bent. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it pulled out of the bushes/trees. Would this be worth restoring this winter??

Thanks

I restored an old Massey Ferguson 31 sicklebar mower a few years ago (3pt hitch, 7-ft cutter bar). Put about $200 in new parts (sections, guards, belts, nuts and bolts).

Tractor
    New Holland TC35

Haven't had a chance to get back down in the back 40 as its been raining here for the last 2 days. Finally some much needed rain, all though not enough to really get us back on track. Anyways, the sickle mower is a 3pt hitch style, old 3pt hitch , looks like it clamped on or somehthing, and it has a single wheel in the back. No its not steel, its rubber so someone paid extra to have a rubber wheel put on back in the day. pretty cool.