Default Who makes the best double action sickle mower?

Wow!...doing some searching there seems to be alot of manufacturers building these...who makes the best one? what brands are the ones to watch out for? anyone here own one or have experiance cutting hay with a double action type... good/bad with these?...I found a used Gaspardo on Craigslist with only a few hrs on it.,,thanks

Tractor

Default Re: Who makes the best double action sickle mower?

I have had a 7 ft tonnutti aka gaspardo it was a good mower today I have a 9 ft Enrossi aka Farm King.
    both are good mowers the weak part is the backbone or back of the guard bar. If you hit something and break the back bone you can weld it back together but must loosen the retaining pieces and pull the 2 compression bolts takes 20 minutes to remove the cutter bar and guard bar.
    The good is they cut as fast as advertised and dont clog up and are cheaper new and will run on lower Hp older tractors. would I buy one yes I have one I paid 1100 for.
    I typically prefer the drum mower the CCM type for some fields and the sickle for others.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbigfarmboy View Post
    I have had a 7 ft tonnutti aka gaspardo it was a good mower today I have a 9 ft Enrossi aka Farm King.
    both are good mowers the weak part is the backbone or back of the guard bar. If you hit something and break the back bone you can weld it back together but must loosen the retaining pieces and pull the 2 compression bolts takes 20 minutes to remove the cutter bar and guard bar.
    The good is they cut as fast as advertised and dont clog up and are cheaper new and will run on lower Hp older tractors. would I buy one yes I have one I paid 1100 for.
    I typically prefer the drum mower the CCM type for some fields and the sickle for others.
    thanks!....My fields are ideal for sickle mowers as far as obstructions and rocks go and pretty flat. Thats why I'm leaning on the double action type.... I'll look up the Enrossi, wasn't familar with that brand yet.

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055

G&S invented the double action design that is sold by Sitrex, Rossi, Tonutti, etc. There is not much difference in all the brands mentioned because they get their parts from the same sources.