New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #1  

bglz42

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 5083E
Brand new 328, have baled around 250 bales all tied perfectly. Suddenly, started missing bales mid-field. There is a knot on the top, and clean cut-off. The manual describes it as "Knot in Twine Over Bale Only". I read the manual, and the instruction to remedy it. I am hesitant to start adjusting until I understand why it would suddenly, on both knotters, start missing knots. I did not change anything, speed/windrow size, etc. I tried adjusting my speed, after it started misbehaving. No change.

I am using poly twine... Could it be the paint wearing off the mating surfaces of the knotter, causing them to go out of adjustment at the same time?

BTW: Aside from the issues I had with the baler last night, I am loving this baler. Runs smooth and ties beautiful tight bales.

Thanks for any insight!

Jim

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales
Gotta be something simple...

Shoppas is sending a tech out on Friday, we'll see what happens!

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #3  
With both missing it sounds like either the twine tension plate (by the twine box) got messed up or something with the needles. Is it missing both knots all the time or is is just missing some?

It's missing both knots, the twine looks identical. A loose knot on top of the bale, and a cleanly cut bottom twine sticking up.

I didn't touch the twine tension plate, but that does give me an idea... I am still baling on the two twine balls installed by the dealer. I noticed they weren't installed right, the "eyes" on the bale box lid were not threaded. The twine came straight from the ball, out of the box, then through the tension plate. I am getting down pretty low on the balls of twine, (haven't installed new ones yet). Could this cause the problem?

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #5  
I think I would get it routed properly before I fixed anything else. Twine tension can cause all kinds of issues. I once had the JD mechanic come out ($300) because I didn't get the twine routed over the roller in the end of the needle properly. So yes I think that could be your problem.

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #6  
If the twine is not routed properly through the needle eyelets, then it could get sheared when the needles retract. I suppose that the twine disks could also be shearing the twine if they have developed a problem, but that is usually only every 4th bale. Have you observed whether the wiper arm/cuttoff knife is cutting he twine or could it be the hay press at the end of the bale case. Look to see if the bale is good after a tie and gets busted after some travel through the case.

I'd empty the bale case and watch all the action in minute detail.

Thanks for the help!

I did not re-route anything, and it had been working perfectly. It started missing the knots in the middle of the windrow. The service guy from Shoppas is coming out on Friday to help me troubleshoot it. Both knotters are doing the same thing...

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #8  
Can anyone tell me how tight should the twine be right after the twine tension plate adjuster? Should it pull hard or easy?? My manuel doesnt cover this...thanks

/ New JD 328 Baler, started missing knots after 250 perfect bales #9  
Can anyone tell me how tight should the twine be right after the twine tension plate adjuster? Should it pull hard or easy?? My manuel doesnt cover this...thanks

10 lbs, each one. Measured with a fish scale.