Two layer cultivator shank

/ Two layer cultivator shank #1  

omidlolo

Tractor
Fergosen
i have a pic that in a cultivator shank has 2 layer.
Why the shank is made of two layers?
Untitled.jpg

/ Two layer cultivator shank #2  
Allows more flex or spring.

/ Two layer cultivator shank
Allows more flex or spring.

Inner layer is under tension, and the outer layer is under pressure in actual.
are two layers material different?

/ Two layer cultivator shank #4  
That looks more like chisel plow shank , runs deeper than a cultivator . Actually 2 layers stiffen it up alittle and still allow some flex .

/ Two layer cultivator shank #5  
This appears to be a john deere C10 leg . Light field cultivator , This type flex too much and dont penetrate as good as a heavier single shank as a chisel plough and tend to straighten out with age .

Attachments

• 9804.jpg
    9804.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 377
Thank you D7E

Last edited:
   / Two layer cultivator shank #8  
Bending stiffness is equivalent to the modulus of elasticity and the moment of inertia. In the case of the flat bar which is the actual cross section of each cultivator shank at any point, the moment of inertia is width x thickness cubed / 12 (English measures). If it was a single beam for example 1 inch by 1 inch for easy calculations, I = (1 x 1)/12 or 1/12. In this case you have 2 beams each 0.5 thick. The cube of 0.5 is 0.125 so each beam has a moment of inertia of .125/12, but you have 2 independent beams stacked so it is additive or 0.25/12. The formula is M=EIk where M is the bending moment, E is the modulus of elasticity for the material being used, and I is the area moment of inertia. k is the resulting curvature. Two thicknesses stacked together are 1/4 as rigid as 1 single thickness unless they are completely fused for the entire length.

Bending stiffness is equivalent to the modulus of elasticity and the moment of inertia. In the case of the flat bar which is the actual cross section of each cultivator shank at any point, the moment of inertia is width x thickness cubed / 12 (English measures). If it was a single beam for example 1 inch by 1 inch for easy calculations, I = (1 x 1)/12 or 1/12. In this case you have 2 beams each 0.5 thick. The cube of 0.5 is 0.125 so each beam has a moment of inertia of .125/12, but you have 2 independent beams stacked so it is additive or 0.25/12. The formula is M=EIk where M is the bending moment, E is the modulus of elasticity for the material being used, and I is the area moment of inertia. k is the resulting curvature. Two thicknesses stacked together are 1/4 as rigid as 1 single thickness unless they are completely fused for the entire length.
why 1/4?

/ Two layer cultivator shank #10  

Excellent explaination, I was not aware of this formula. I will have to retain this for future reference.