Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader?

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #1  

SLHawkins

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5403, International Harvester 584
Howdy folks,
I picked this up yesterday from a nice fella up in Pennsylvania. The red looks to be its original color. The wheel pattern is a 5-spoke star. It is ten feet wide. I did not see any data plate or any thing with a make and model number. It is in great shape (well, it does need a little TLC). After getting it to the house, I had to free the metering gate on the bottom. It was caked with old fertilizer and dirt. After a little banging with a hammer, some oil, and scraping with a chisel, the metering gate now slides freely back and forth. One of the axles was locked too. Again, a few shots of grease, and some rocking backing and forth of the wheel, it broke loose too. I got the wheels off becuase the tires are completely shot. Once I get those replaced and back on, then I'll be laying down the lime. I would like to try and get a manual or something though to make sure I got the settings right.

Thanks.

Hawk

Attachments

• Fertilizer Spreader 002.JPG
    Fertilizer Spreader 002.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Fertilizer Spreader 003.JPG
    Fertilizer Spreader 003.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 493
  • Fertilizer Spreader 004.JPG
    Fertilizer Spreader 004.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 428
  • Fertilizer Spreader 005.JPG
    Fertilizer Spreader 005.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 592
  • Fertilizer Spreader 006.JPG
    Fertilizer Spreader 006.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 598
   / Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #2  
It's a grass seeder is'nt it .??

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #3  
It's a grass seeder is'nt it .??

These are called "drop seeder/spreaders" and will spread seed, ferterlize, dry lime, dry litter or a combination of any of these materials mixed together. I have been using these for over 50 years. Ken Sweet

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #4  
Never seen lime put through one ..Amazing it works !

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #5  
They work sooo much better if the lime is right out of the crusher..!!

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #6  
Having worked for lime spreading contractors i would never imagine you could get it to feed enough volume of product ?

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #7  
My dad bought a drop spreader for lime many many years ago (I think I was maybe 12-13). If the lime was bone dry, it worked fine. If it was the least bit damp, well he then had me ride the spreader and whack the side near the openings with a rubber mallet whenever it clogged, which was quite frequently. We struggled with it for one spring only. That fall, he bought a tandem axle, 2yd(?) broadcast unit and never looked back. No comparison between the two.

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #8  
Dry or pelletized lime works best. Ken Sweet

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader? #9  
Possibly a Gandy brand?

/ Need some help identify this fertilizer/lime spreader?
Possibly a Gandy brand?

The hopper looks very similiar to both the Gandy and Ford Dearborn/New Holland Models I have come across. However, the metering lever on those models were different than the lever on this one. If I can't locate a manual, I reckon I'll just trial and error it.

I have read threads both for and against these types of spreaders. Key is making sure it is dry. The main reason I went with this spreader was I having a hard time getting someone to come out and spread lime on my small field (only 5 acres). I'll see how it does. I do have a spin spreader where I could use the pelletized lime, but I can get ag-lime for a little over $11/ton versus several dollars per bag (adding to over $1000) for the pelletized.

Hawk