Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Default Re: Anyone for Merecedes Benz Unimogs, Tractors & Trucks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob77064 View Post
    Good looking Unimog. great restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Awesome!
    Thanks Guys - spent more far more $'s & hours than I intended, though all forgotten now in transforming from the orange "wreck" we started with.......the "before" shots look far better than it was....basically a bare chassis rebuild with everything stripped rebuilt or replaced as new (or better than new in some cases, including the chassis, cab & panels which are now galvanised) - did the same with the MB Trac1500 I previously posted (@ c.10,000hrs now as new ), having done similar rebuilds/resto's with other trucks, tractors & classic cars:-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tbn28022013b-jpg  
    Last edited by MBTRAC; 02-28-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    As far as I know Claas are only using MAN's in their largest Forage Harvester the 970 & 980 - I suspect the change to MAN's was related to the HP required as these are both c.800hp & up machines (which I understand in Europe they are marketing also to wood chip harvesting).
    Both brands had high HP units, just they were using a twin engine set-up on the 750 HP and up. Krone was just over 1000 HP then and today a little more at 1078. Krone started in 2005 and Claas in 2007. Both units could run with just 1 engine or 2 engines depending on HP need. The Claas was a very simple set up with just a belt and clutch connecting the 2 engines. Krone used a transmission that took some power to turn.

Krone Vs Claas: two engines in one machine - 4/26/2009 - Farmers Weekly

New multi-power JAGUAR from CLAAS - Farming UK news

I just find it odd they both switched about the same time.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JasG View Post
    Both brands had high HP units, just they were using a twin engine set-up on the 750 HP and up. Krone was just over 1000 HP then and today a little more at 1078. Krone started in 2005 and Claas in 2007. Both units could run with just 1 engine or 2 engines depending on HP need. The Claas was a very simple set up with just a belt and clutch connecting the 2 engines. Krone used a transmission that took some power to turn.

Krone Vs Claas: two engines in one machine - 4/26/2009 - Farmers Weekly

New multi-power JAGUAR from CLAAS - Farming UK news

I just find it odd they both switched about the same time.
    I've "test" operated the big Claas' & Krone in Europe last year when we were considered upgrading - very impressive machines but not quite viable in our operation (yet) - from what I gathered from the guy's at Claas (& confirmed by European operators) the twin engine set up wasn't that great & was a bit of a compromise with considerable operator intervention, the switch to MAN was driven by the requirement for a single large engine with variable linear power/optimum torque options which couldn't be achieved readily by MB - & reportedly MAN was more flexible/responsive to what Claas wanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12