Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger

/ Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I need a post hole digger and was thinking about a County Line brand digger from Tractor Supply. The very first on line review mentions using bolts from the bolt bin, as shear bolts. The reviewer says, one has too much play and the next size is too big. I went out to Tractor Supply, twice, and verified the part about too much play, however, on the second trip I found that the bolt the next size up from the one recommended seemed to fit. The digger was still in the crate and I hope I was checking the right holes. Has anyone who owns a County Line post hole digger moved up to a size larger shear bolt? Has the larger size been satisffactory?

Last edited:
   / Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger #2  
You are making too big a deal out of it. PHD are not precision diggers and they run at low RPM. Put in the one that fits the closest and be done with it. I had rather have the auger bolt shear than the drive shaft one.

/ Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger
Jim,
As best I could tell, the shear bolt 'is' the one on the drive shaft. However, since a larger bolt seems be the right size, I'll probably take your advise, going with the largest one that'll fit and hope I really am, 'done with it'. (Notice, I edited my origonal post). Thanks for responding.

/ Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger #4  
Doesn't it have a slip clutch.

/ Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger #5  
My PHD is an old Speeco I cleaned up, re painted and have used a lot.
It is set up for a 5/16" bolt on the pto side of the gear box. I keep the shaft
at that point well lubed with anti-sieze compound. I use grade 2 cheap bolts and
nylon lock nuts. The auger bolts on with two 1/2" bolts. I use grade 5 or 8 bolts for that.
And keep them tight to keep from walking out the holes in the sleeve on the auger top.
I ALWAYS carry several spare 5/16" sheer bolts. My place is quite rocky.
Good luck

/ Shear bolt for County Line Post Hole Digger
Wyobuckaroo,
Thank you for your answer. I think someone said the County Line PHDs are manufactured by Speeco. So, if none of the specs have changed maybe, what works you will work for me.
I bought and assembled the digger Saturday. The supplied 5/16 shear bolt is a loose fit and a 3/8 inch goes in easily. This is still a mystery to me.