100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #31  
Cool. Looks like 4 lead acids. 48volts. ... Long way to go.

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #32  
Batts go on fire for a different reason. Self heating for if the current distribution is not well balanced by the internal battery manager. Hence lap tops going on fire. So yes there are dangers.. But also think about the gas insider your cars gas tank. Throw a cigarette in there and.. Boom!

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #33  
Mini battery charging stations with spare batts in the field? Solar powered?

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #34  
One big difference when comparing different cars of the past are the batteries used.. We are all kinda familiar with a 12v lead acid battery.. And the energy stored in it. But lithium is a whole new level. And also within the class of lithium there are big differences in cost and energy and also safety.

Eg. Lithium iron phosphate, used in Chevy volts is very safe and cheap, but does not store the amount of energy when compared to Tessa's lithium cobalt iron batts.. Nor does it require the same level of baby sitting in terms of battery sensor management. Hence the cost delta and the performance diff.

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #35  
Folks what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of battery powered tractors IF you also add the capability of automatic driving? This appears to perhaps change the problem space a little. Ie. automatic charge during sunlit and then automatic tilling or plowing once charged. The plowing would take far longer, but would not require any man time to do it. Is this a viable option? Thoughts? Again is this perhaps ok for 1acre lawn mowing but not 100 acre plowing ? What scale would it work at perhaps?

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #36  
Folks what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of battery powered tractors IF you also add the capability of automatic driving? This appears to perhaps change the problem space a little. Ie. automatic charge during sunlit and then automatic tilling or plowing once charged. The plowing would take far longer, but would not require any man time to do it. Is this a viable option? Thoughts? Again is this perhaps ok for 1acre lawn mowing but not 100 acre plowing ? What scale would it work at perhaps?

I know several farmers that at different time of the year go 24/7 for weeks. This reduces the need to have 3 tractors running 8-10 hours a day. In the spring and the fall it is very common. this is due to the short amount of time to get crops in and again to harvest at its prime. Even the 1st farmer I worked for I would go 18-20 hours a day. This was due to spring break was 1 week in April, so he set his tillage up around that week. It usually was the correct time of year and his son and I would work our tails off plowing, etc. Fun then, not so much today.

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #37  
Around here, you have a limited window to plow, plant, harvest, etc so you cant be waiting for batteries to recharge.

Aaron Z

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #38  
I got t tesla recently. If I don't go too crazy with the acceptation and I don't run around smoking corvettes and vipers.. And I try to behave like an adult .. (Hard!) ... Then I get about 275 miles. I imagine I could get over 300 if I drove at 45-55 and also I can see getting 200 if I peddle to the metal... So it's like a full tank of gas in an m5. Very similar.

Again through, tractors are sized to the application. 100HP tractor spend a majority of it's life running at least 75% power output and a large chunk of time at 90%, at least the ones I've been around. Even roading machinery on a flat very little power, but inclines make them work. Remember your usually hitched to something that could be as much or than the weight of the tractor. Wagons create huge drag, and other things that just make the machines work.

Cars on the other hand once up to speed don't use anywhere near peak power unless it has a very small engine.

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor #39  
Batts go on fire for a different reason. Self heating for if the current distribution is not well balanced by the internal battery manager. Hence lap tops going on fire. So yes there are dangers.. But also think about the gas insider your cars gas tank. Throw a cigarette in there and.. Boom!

No one throws a cigarette into a gas tank in normal operation. Charging a battery is "normal" though.

/ 100 HP Plug In EV 4WD Tractor
Around here, you have a limited window to plow, plant, harvest, etc so you cant be waiting for batteries to recharge.

Aaron Z

I think anything less than ten hours on one charge is not going to cut it. You really want to stop and change battery packs at lunch?
They might be seriously heavy. Possible you might have to as an early adopter, but this won't fly until battery tech or perhaps motor tech allows a full day work with a plug in at night.

ELR Extended Range Electric Coupe | Cadillac

but someday there will be a tractor in there vs. a Cadillac.
Nice looking Volt...