Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

Default Re: Thinking about buying a small dump truck...am I crazy?

Greg,

I have been considering the same thing. However I have switched from the truck to a 12-14K dump trailer. One less thing to buy gas for. Not sure what kind of truck you have though to pull one.

David
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

Quote Originally Posted by hunterridgefarm View Post
    Greg,

I have been considering the same thing. However I have switched from the truck to a 12-14K dump trailer. One less thing to buy gas for. Not sure what kind of truck you have though to pull one.

David
    To me that personally makes more sense if you have the truck to pull it with...
    That 14K trailer will haul 10K of stone and keep you under 26K total on many trucks...

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Turbys_1700 View Post
    To me that personally makes more sense if you have the truck to pull it with...
    That 14K trailer will haul 10K of stone and keep you under 26K total on many trucks...
    That's my issue. My truck is a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Not quite suited for serious trailer pulling.
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I have a F600 with a gas 360 engine that will haul five yards or 7 yards with 12 inch sideboards. It's been a money pit and a never ending project to fix things on it, but I bought it used, I've abused it and I've more then gotten my money out of it. It just sucks wrenching on it all the time. If I was to do it over again, I might go bigger and might think about diesel, but who knows. Up front cost is a big deal and I don't need it every day, so I hate spending a bunch on a nicer vehicle when it might sit for a year.

Benefits are that with my dad driving and me loading, we can move a couple hundred yards of dirt in a day. Distance is a big part of that, but mostly it's all about parking it and loading it quickly to get as much done as possible. I've also found that I can load it faster with the backhoe when he backs in, compared to loading it with the front bucket and driving the dirt back and forth to where he parks.

As for moving brush or debris, it's faster and easier to either chain and drag it or pick it up with the grapple.

I would never consider going anywhere to get materials with such a small truck. The savings are not there, especially when you figure out what insurance costs. My truck is farm use only, off road use only.

Eddie

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I had a one ton chevy with a dump bed on it, used it for everything. Gravel, firewood, trash, hay, put two round bales on it and throw a strap over the front one and then dump the back one off pull forward and.... Wish I had one now even though I have no reason to have one. Works like a pick up, works like a dump the best of both worlds.

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

My dumper is farm use only, off road use only. 7' wide, 4.5 cubic yards, 4WD. It will go places that a dump truck can't.
    -p1060002-jpg

Hauling brush.
    -p3120004-jpg -p3120008-jpg -p3120011-jpg

Hauling dirt and silt.
    -p3200012-jpg -p6230012-jpg

Tractor
    Ford 3000-Rhino 554,Co-Op ,Honda ,Gilson riding mowers

-gmc-7000-001-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    I am thinking a budget of $5K or less. If I can get an old beater with good mechanics, even better. Not exactly buying it as a show piece. I figure if I keep it in good running shape, I can probably sell it for close to what I pay for it (if I go really cheap) when I get the property back in shape.
    We picked up the GMC 7000 for about a 1/3 that but it was a city sale and the detroit is a (smoker) till she gets warm... also the Allison is a five speed but it really is a 4 with a compound low add on and it has 7.17 gears so about 45 is revving pretty good for a diesel...

Watch the county /city sales and maybe if you have them there equipment auction outfits -it's kind of like gambling especially if you win, that being said its best to find out everything you can about the truck well before the auction and hopefully come out on the winning end.. otherwise pay retail and have a better chance of getting a good rig- maybe (as you said no show piece)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

I was thinking about getting one, but insurance, maintenance etc. I opted for a dump trailer - works by battery - I used it to cover my long trail with stone works great and can fit into narrow places. stores away with little to no maintenance. I do have tags and insurance on this - because I wanted to pick up mulch, stone, dirt, etc. pull it with my pick up truck

Banned
    Tractor
    Kubota BX3030 Cab with upgraded speakers

Quote Originally Posted by 9973720wb19 View Post
    I was thinking about getting one, but insurance, maintenance etc. I opted for a dump trailer - works by battery - I used it to cover my long trail with stone works great and can fit into narrow places. stores away with little to no maintenance. I do have tags and insurance on this - because I wanted to pick up mulch, stone, dirt, etc. pull it with my pick up truck
    why insure the trailer? What scenario did the insurance company use to sell you insurance for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodles View Post
    why insure the trailer? What scenario did the insurance company use to sell you insurance for it.
    Don't know about where you live but here it's called "the law"
    Several garden tractor pullers
    Kubota B2630
    Kubota ZD28
    Ford 655D backhoe
    Bobcat T190, various attachments
    Numerous Farmalls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast