Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Member

Default Re: Thinking about buying a small dump truck...am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkrank View Post
    Don't know about where you live but here it's called "the law"

Not here ... its covered under the vehicle towing it as long as its a utility type trailer ... different story if its a camper trailer,boat, etc all we are required to have is a tag on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    Not here ... its covered under the vehicle towing it as long as its a utility type trailer ... different story if its a camper trailer,boat, etc all we are required to have is a tag on it.
    Yep, but he was talking dump trailer, which I assumed meant at least 10,000# cap.

Used to be able for $15 to get a rider on my truck that covered a smaller trailer. My 28 footer and 14,000# dump takes a separate policy now.
    Several garden tractor pullers
    Kubota B2630
    Kubota ZD28
    Ford 655D backhoe
    Bobcat T190, various attachments
    Numerous Farmalls

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Having an old dump truck is endlessly useful around the farm. I have an old '75 C-60 chevy with a 14' dump bed that I use all the time. If you have a loader that can reach over the sideboards go ahead and get a 2-ton or larger truck vs a 1-ton. You'll get so much more work done in the same amount of time it's not even comparable. Also, if you are going to be using it primarily off-road and around the farm I'd suggest one with some of the smaller gas engine offerings, you want it as light as possible on the front end otherwise you'll be stuck a lot.

As for costs involved, it just depends on what you get. The parts for my old Chevy are pretty cheap and plentiful, I just rebuilt the rear wheel brake cylinders on one side last week for a grand total of $23. Brake shoes all around are about $200, tires aren't cheap but they last forever with this type of use. And it's got a 350 so motor parts are available anywhere. I have farm use tags on it so insurance is very cheap, and no licensing or registration. Even with 'Farm Vehicle' tags which is what my father runs on his International dump I think they are only $100-120 a year for 33K tags. If you can't register it through a farm its more than double that however.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123