need a backhoe attachment

/ need a backhoe attachment #1  

wrb103

Tractor
kubota m8540, Kubota L3000
I have a Kubota M8540 85hp tractor. any suggestions on a good backhoe attachment. tractor is 8 years old. Or should I just trade it in?

/ need a backhoe attachment #2  
I have a Kubota M8540 85hp tractor. any suggestions on a good backhoe attachment. tractor is 8 years old. Or should I just trade it in?

Can't rent a backhoe or an excavator? How much hoe work do you have? Must be a bunch if you're thinking it's gonna mean selling or trading your tractor to get a backhoe!! Of course, if you've already got a bigger tractor and/or another 85hp tractor... maybe you should trade it.

JD makes a backhoe that will fit their 85hp tractors in the same frame size as the M8540 --- I'd guess it's in the $12K range at least.

That's a whole lotta rental hours or a good down payment on a new tractor/backhoe!

AKfish

/ need a backhoe attachment #3  

A Bradco 511 would sing behind 85hp!
hugs, Brandi

/ need a backhoe attachment #4  
Keep your eyes open on Craigslist and SearchTempest.

As AKfish mentioned, a lot will depend on what you want, the condition, ready to use, how much digging you have planned, how big you want, new/used, etc.

You can sometimes find 3pt hitch backhoes for under $3K, or so, perhaps needing some tinkering.

This is designed for a skid steer, but perhaps could be adapted to a 3pt hitch.
Back Hoe 160 CAT Attachment

Here is an older tractor & backhoe.
back hoe

Another.
Early 60's 1010 John Deere

The 2OO6 Case 580 SM II Tractor Loader Backhoe ad that I'm seeing popping up on Craigslist is likely a SCAM, and keep away from that one.

Here is a sampling of 3pt backhoe attachments scattered around the country. I'm sure there are many more. If you need a 3pt attachment, and have some time for the search, just keep your eyes open for something close to you.

Small 3-3PT Backhoe Attachment
Bush Hog 3pt backhoe attachment
Kubota BL4690B 3pt backhoe
WOODS 3pt. BACKHOE

You may have a mismatch in size with your tractor and some of the small 3pt hoes, but that all depends on your needs. Also, many of the 3pt hoes have a second seat, separate from your tractor seat, while the more commercial/industrial hoes, you just turn the seat backwards.

Some of the trencher backhoe combo units might be an interesting idea for some situations, although many appear to be quite light duty on the backhoes.
case trencher / backhoe
Vermeer V-430A Trencher/Backhoe
ditch witch v30 trencher/backhoe
1996 Case 460 Ditcher Trencher Backhoe

/ need a backhoe attachment
Thanks Cliffordk. I will be researching these web sites. any more suggestions of web sites to shop at or research at? I'm not an internet wiz. I can dismantle and reassemble a tractor but get confused with ebay and craiglist.

I was raised on a farm till I was 22 then went off to make a living. I'm now 51. My Dad passed away a few years ago and now I'm working/farming. Also trying to clear land and build a house and work shop. I love being busy. Like my Dad I'm also a little particular on how things are done.

That's why I'm looking for a backhoe to fit my large tractor. I also have a Kubota L3000 about 15 years old. Wife won't give it up so I can replace it. She does have all the goodies that goes with it.

/ need a backhoe attachment
Hey Brandi. Why are you talking Bradco 511. That's what I'm trying to find out. Which name brand has the better BH. Bradco? Woods? Woodsmaxx? Bushogg?? I was talking with a Kubota salesman today who suggested a woods bh. I went in the shop and talk to two mechanics who are mounting bh all the time. They both told me if money isn't a problem buy the Kubota bh. Just a much better setup. Naturally cost is a factor.

/ need a backhoe attachment #7  
Hey Brandi. Why are you talking Bradco 511. That's what I'm trying to find out. Which name brand has the better BH. Bradco? Woods? Woodsmaxx? Bushogg?? I was talking with a Kubota salesman today who suggested a woods bh. I went in the shop and talk to two mechanics who are mounting bh all the time. They both told me if money isn't a problem buy the Kubota bh. Just a much better setup. Naturally cost is a factor.
Wrb103,
Because I have been abusing a Bradco 511 for the last 6 years and it has never disappointed me. I don't know which is really better. Really, I guess it boils down to what manufacturer makes (as in readily available) the subframe mounts to fit your tractor. It helps to have a model of each to look at and see. Even better if you can operate all the brands you mention above. But I know that isn't likely.

I would suggest looking at the specs of each to see their digging depths and be sure to get one that has factory brackets to mount a thumb. Get the hyd. thumb if you can afford it. Get a narrow and a wide digging bucket also. A ditching (wide and no teeth) bucket is pricey, but nice to have when you need one.
hugs, Brandi

/ need a backhoe attachment #8  
x2 with the advice on the thumb. It will make your backhoe work like a scalpel and not just a big shovel! I passed on buying extra buckets - 'cause they're expensive! Struck a compromise with a 20" and might advise on a 24" if you plan to excavate a lot of foundation or crawl space jobs. As well, with having extra buckets; swapping out a pin-on bucket is a PITA - IMO. Quick attach is a much better system and on some models that is the only configuration you can have if you want the hydraulic thumb.

I've had a backhoe around my place for about 9 years, now. I have learned that the greatest advantage for having one is when tackling a new building project or for expanding/remodeling an existing building. It's been my experience that they're less important for clearing trees and/or improving fields and crop lands. You're much better off to rent an excavator if you're primarily focused on improving your land - IMO.

That said, if you're committed to buying a backhoe for your Kubota; and don't want to spend the extra $$ for the OEM Kubota 'hoe - I'd recommend Woods or Bradco with Bushhog taking up the rear.

Best of luck.

AKfish