Double Action Sickle Mower....review

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #1  

blaze 57

Bronze Member
Well decided on a very little used one. Made in Italy by Sitrex. This morning I thought I would give her a test drive. Took her over to the timothy field and it was still very WET and perfect conditions for plugging up a sickle mower. Even when this field is dry it is so thick it would eventually plug my Deere sickle mower even with new knives and guards. The double action sickle mower never plugged in fact out of curiosity I tried to get it to plug by slowing the rpm's to virtually idle speed and through the wet-thick grass I could not force this thing to plug no matter what. I think its going to work great on my 40 acre hay field this late spring and for once there is no more cussing and getting off/on my tractor and struggling with the plugging in the thick fine-grass fields.

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #2  
Which Deere sickle did you have? How wide was it?

How wide is your Sitrex?

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review
Deere 350 with 7 ft bar and so is the Sitrex. I also ran the sickle mower through some grass that already had been cut and as we all know that will plug up a sickle mower too....in this test the double action mower never slowed down . I would imagine in a few weeks when it becomes time to cut hay it will fly as fast as my field will allow me to mow. Probably second gear in middle range at 2000rpm. I see John Deere has wisely now gone to the double action type too with their new mowers (Frontier line). I looked at one at the Deere dealer but couldn't afford one, close to 6k plus tax. They are $$ pricey but looked very well made. I think the Sitrex has a stouter drive mechanism that drives the two cutters compared to the Deere.

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #4  
We sell and stock the 7 Ft Enrossi/Farmking brand ($4150 + shipping) and the 7 Ft G&S/Superior brand ($3995 + shipping). Both with hydraulic blade. Just as you say, they are very good about not clogging and mowing fast. Ken Sweet

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #5  
The guard bar backbone is a bit weak.

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #7  
Enorossi and farm king
Understand theyre all made the same

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review
Enorossi and farm king
Understand theyre all made the same

Yea I definitely wouldn't want to hit a solid object with the double action types. The tolerances between all the working parts are extremely close. Any knick or bend is really going to screw up the "scissor action" between the sickle and guards.

/ Double Action Sickle Mower....review #10  
The double action sickle mowers were designed to cut hay without clogging and not trim brush and saplings. A conventional sickle mower will be better suited those type conditions. It would sorta be like trying to mow a cow pasture field with a grooming mower. Ken Sweet