Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE??

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I have been looking locally for a cultivator for my summer food plots. I contacted a farmer friend of mine in KS for advice. Im in TX. He said he had a "like new" Glencoe with manual he would GIVE me if I came to pick it up. I know practically nothing about cultivators. What is your opinion of this brand and model, and would you drive 6 hours one way for this one if it was FREE? thanks

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #2  
I'd drive down from Western Canada for that!! My goodness it even still has paint on it!! Bonus!!!

Cheers!!

Roger

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #3  
I don't know a thing about that cultivator but for probably less than $200 worth of fuel? I'd already be in the truck headed that way.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #4  
Pay a kid to go get it.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #5  
Glencoe manufacturing used to build quite a few different Agricultural related products. Used to hear of them quite a bit growing up in SD. 'Course that's been nearly 40 years ago at this point...

But, their products were well constructed and quality components. I'd be "saddlin' up", too! :thumbsup:

Safe trip!

AKfish

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #6  
Uh-oh, a dissenting voice here. That's a lot of money for something that doesn't bring that much at auction. Maybe a couple hundred $$ but I've seen them sell for less in the Midwest. They are cumbersome and you would need to cut it down . A $150 old Dearborn/Ford/ Ferguson cultivator would do a better job and be easier to handle.

Now, you could couple a toad trip with a pickup of the item and then you have a great situation. Search out a good lunch spot on the way down, check out the sights by using back roads when possible and look at other farm equipment on the way. Bring a kid along for the experience. Take photos. That idea has legs.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #7  
Sounds like an excuse to see an old friend, than the trip becomes priceless. Jmo.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE??
Again, I know virtually nothing of cultivators, but I must admit this thing looks cumbersome and very busy. I used to seeing the smaller 6-8 foot cultivators the old timers around here used for truck patches back in the 60's and 70's. I guess the question I should have been asking is:

What do you consider to be the best most user friendly cultivator for food plots. I have noticed that some have spring shanks, plow shares, etc. What do you consider the absolute best for user friendly, handy, good job, etc. I will be planting beans, corn, sunflowers, peas, millet etc. thanks also, pics would be great if possible.

This one is about 30 minutes from me, but current owner wants $650 for it. It looks less complicated, but I don't know enough about them to make proper decision. What do you guys think about this one?

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #9  
Are you wanting to prepare soil for planting food plots or are you wanting to cultivate (work to soil around and between) established plants?

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #10  
If it were me, I would drive to get it. As another member stated, you will be able to visit with your Friend also. The both of you can share memories and a meal together. Just a thought?