4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?)

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Im new to the row crop scene. For several years I have wanted to have summer food plots (corn, beans, sunflower, millet etc) I have been slowly accumulating equipment and knowledge. I have a 7710 Ford tractor. Because of the gates and trails through the woods that I have to go through to get to some of my food plot sites, I would like to keep the implements from sticking too far outside my wheels. I was considering a 4 row planter and had initially thought I would need a 4 row cultivator to compliment it. However, after really looking at how a cultivator worked, it dawned on me that an "x" row cultivator would always be wider than the same "x" row planter. Therefore, I was thinking of a 4 row planter and then using a 2 row cultivator to work it. Is this reasonable logic ? thanks

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #2  
It will work. It would not worh the other way around but it will work just fine in that combination.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #3  
Your logic is sound on this one Pharmvet. A # of row cultivator will always clean both sides of your row crop. A two row cultivator will usually be about 90" wide. Row crops width industry standard is usaully set up at 30" but you could easily go much narrower since it's for food plots and not harvesting it.

One thing to really consider is go with 3 point over pull behind. I have a JD 290 2 row pull planter that I converted to 3 point because like you I do food plotting and the one thing that always is an issue is space to maneuver. Being able to lift the 3 point gives you the ability to back up which is a huge plus. Tool bar mounted plantes such as the 71 flex could easily get 4 planters on. On the cultivator I would recommend one with gauge wheels that way you can drop it and go and focus on staying between the rows instead of the height on the 3 pt.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?)
Thanks for the good info guys. Regarding 3 pt or pull behing, I think 3 pt will serve my needs best. Also, Regarding the planter, I have been working on acquiring the 71 flex planter for some time now. The cultivator has me confused. Again, I want a 3 pt. Super 55 mentioned one with gauge wheels. Im interested in that. In your opinion, what would you consider to be the perfect food plot cultivator. I need make and model so that I can research and begin to look for one. thanks a million !!

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #5  
Used 2 Row Cultivator for Row Crops 3 Point We Can SHIP Cheap and Fast | eBay

I couldn't find a post but found a link for one on ebay. The gauge wheels allow you to just drop the cultivator to float and go without having to worry about the having the sweeps dig too deep and rolling soil over your rows. If you are working on a perfectly level flat seedbed without any hills or mounds to contend with this usually isn't too much of an issue but if you are working on any uneven terrain the gauge wheels are well worth it in my opinion. This one has an added feature of trip sweeps which is a really nice feature as well. It will save replacing an S-tine if you snag a large rock or tree root in your food plot.

If $$ is an issue or you find a smoking deal on a used cultivator without gauge wheels. They are real easy to make with some 4 buck lawn mower tires from TSC and some angle iron clamped to the frame. With gauge wheels and some makeshift row protectors you can about double your speed cultivating with less likelihood to cause injury to your crops.

Keep your eye out for farm auctions and craigslist and such. A lot of farms have old cultivators sitting around. As long as it is 3 point and on a tool bar it doesn't matter how many rows it is. It can get cut down to a two row.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #6  
the perfect row crop cultivator was the old IH narrow front end tractors with the cultivator mounted ahead of the rear wheels. They are scarce now though.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #7  
the perfect row crop cultivator was the old IH narrow front end tractors with the cultivator mounted ahead of the rear wheels. They are scarce now though.

I agree 100% those tractors with the offset motor so you could in front of you without any obstruction was pure genious. The Farmall cubs and Model A's are slick. AC model G is a pretty neat contraption as well. Demand for these little tractors is surprisingly high especially if they have mid mount cultivators and a side dresser.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #8  
The OP is complicating food plot installation and maintenance IMHO. None of my food plots are row crops. Cultivating a food plot seems like an unnecessary expense in fuel and time. I am sure some here will disagree but based on my many years experience with food plots, row crop food plots aren't necessary to produce good results in attracting birds, deer, bears and other wildlife.

I can see corn and sunflowers in a row configured plot but most everything else works well drilled or broadcast. Corn and sunflowers certainly can be broadcast and covered with good results and there are some who plant corn and sunflower with a drill by taping closed every other seed chute.

Besides fencing, fertilizing and spraying, I do very little else to a plot.

Your mileage may vary.

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #9  
The OP is complicating food plot installation and maintenance IMHO. None of my food plots are row crops. Cultivating a food plot seems like an unnecessary expense in fuel and time. I am sure some here will disagree but based on my many years experience with food plots, row crop food plots aren't necessary to produce good results in attracting birds, deer, bears and other wildlife.

I can see corn and sunflowers in a row configured plot but most everything else works well drilled or broadcast. Corn and sunflowers certainly can be broadcast and covered with good results and there are some who plant corn and sunflower with a drill by taping closed every other seed chute.

Besides fencing, fertilizing and spraying, I do very little else to a plot.

Your mileage may vary.

Years ago, I worked a couple of summers for the SD Game, Fish and Parks. It was the responsibility of the Dept. to plant food plots scattered all over the State on public hunting areas back then in those days.

Anyway, after soil prep, fert - most stuff was just broadcast and either lightly disced in or covered with a drag harrow. Might come back a time or two later in summer to knock the weeds back but generally, left everything alone. It either grew or not... critters would make use of it regardless.

AKfish

/ 4 row planter and 2 row cultivator (is this combination reasonable?) #10  
There are literally a ton of ways to do food plotting. Certain crops such as oats, rye, wheat and buckwheat are extremely easy to grow. Literally till some dirt throw some seed sit back and enjoy the result. This is usually why any seed with a buck on the bag had usually 50% of one of these seeds in it. Cereal grains, brassicas and clovers are very forgiving and usually the cheapest to grow.

Corn and soybeans are a different beast. Corn especially is the most expensive to establish usually in the cost of all the nutrients it requires in fertilizer. If roundup ready seed is used you can plan on about 70 dollars and over a 100 hundred in fertilizer for an acre and thats with good soil test results.

For me I use my cultivator to go an plant crops between my rows after the corn is about 14 inches high. Run the sweeps, roll the soil and plant red or crimson clover. By then the corns biggest nutrient user is N by far and the clover will utilize whats left of the P and K to get established.

If you guys are interested in food plotting types, ideas, seed blends, equipment etc. Check out QDMA food plotting forum. It is an excellent site with some real subject matter experts in it.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/index.php