Tractors On Public Roads

/ Tractors On Public Roads #11  
Harv,
Up here once you hit the road better have a SMV and license plate,and
flashing light aren't a must.

Even hauling farm equipment..hay bailers..rakes..speaders etc..SMV are a must.

If a tractor has agricultucal plates and SMV,age 12 and up can operate on a class 3 and up roads w/out a driver permit or license.

I believe its a matter of time when traveling the roads,tractors will have to have an inspection sticker. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tractors On Public Roads
Robert -

Thanks for sharing your experiences. That helps paint the picture.

Not sure I understand the purpose of a "chase" vehicle, unless it's a CHP or other "official" vehicle. In all practicality, it doesn't seem like an ordinary car would be any more visible than a bright orange tractor with an SMV and flashing lights. Or do they act as a shock absorber when you get hit from behind? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Yeah, I was thinking I ought to try the DMV web site, but I'm developing the dubious habit of asking this board for information before I even try to look it up myself. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

HarvSig.gif

<font color=blue>class 3 and up roads</font color=blue>

???

Thomas - I have no idea how much class my road has. You got any idea what the different classifications are?

HarvSig.gif

/ Tractors On Public Roads #14  
Harv,
My understanding In New hampshire a class one road is the interstate & class 2 road highly travel state road.
New Hampshire consider class 3 and up rural roads,even old roads subject to {pass at your own risk}gate and bars.

You may want to check your state laws.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tractors On Public Roads #15  
A thought just came to mind. If you are on the road can you used off the road diesel fuel in a tractor? I'm sure this varies state to state.

Derek

/ Tractors On Public Roads #16  
I don't know what thier thoughts are on chase vehicles. I know a lot of old tractors have no signal lights; maybe that is the reason. My Farmall "A" does not. Georges Deere "B" does not; I know both were available with headlights, but that's it.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that our hazard flashers on our Kubota's are bright. However, for a evening ride, you will need headlights. Kubota's are notorious for junk headlights. My 18v DeWalt cordless light outshines the high-beams on my B8200 [shock]

Asking the board like this is definitely more interesting. We have feedback from various backgrounds and states.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Okay, I spent some time reading the California Motor Vehicle Code online. (Yawn)

The closest thing I could find to an answer to my question here was under the "Off-Highway Vehicles" section. If we assume that our tractors are classified as "Implements of Husbandry" (I couldn't find anything closer), then we are not required to register our tractors or display any sort of license to operate them on or off the highway (read, "public road").

When we do go out on the "highway", we are bound by all the normal driving laws, including speed limits (Slow To 25, guys /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif).

You are not required to carry a driver's license unless you are pulling a farm trailer full of produce between farms or to a processing point.

If you exceed 25 miles per hour, you must carry a valid class C driver's license (to get my L2500 up to that speed, I'd have to drive it over a cliff /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif).

SMV emblem is mandatory!

Double-faced amber turn signals may be flashed simultaneously as warning lights.

They specifically state that in order to operate such a vehicle, you must be able to reach all the controls and pedals (my wife barely qualifies /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif).

That's the best I could glean from the DMV docs, but I suppose I'll get the real answers from the first cop to pull me over -- if he can catch me. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Tractors On Public Roads #18  
Yup, "Implements of Husbandry" is what we have /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sounds funny though. Can't imagine explaining about showing a friend that brand new "Implement of Husbandry" /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Tractors On Public Roads #19  
HARV.. Here in the sticks most all farmers take there tractors out on the highway at some point. I have never seen, or even heard of a police officer of any kind stopping or giving a ticket to any farmer. (Unless maybe someone who was involved in and fender bender) Half of the old tractor I see on the road are without light of any kind, no flashers, no SMV. I know of several farmers who move some older tractors about three to five miles about twice a week. Now that I think about I have seen big, BIG combines moving between fields or running back to the dealer in town to be worked on... But we are really in for real farm country.

Derek -

My guess is that if you're driving a vehicle which is classified as off-road, like our "implements of husbandry", you are perfectly entitled to use the off-road diesel. The assumption, of course, is that you actually spend most of your time off the road. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif