sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril?

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril? #1  

Bison

Platinum Member
Tractor
ASV 4810
I want to improve my pastures by sod seeding but don't know what brand or model no-till drill I should get or should stay away from.
The different brands and models are many but none are used or even available in my area and I have no experience with these seeders , there's nothing for rent either in my neck of the woods.
All my knowledge so far comes from internet articles about sod seeding.
These are the brands with disc openers that got my attention.( all of them are rather pricy , even used ones):eek:.
Haybuster 1000
Haybuster 107
John Deere 750
Great plains (to many diff models to choose from)
Landpride
Sunflower.
Which of the above seeders do you guys have experience with in overseeding pasture/hay land and what were the results?

My land is sand and sandy loam and slighty rolling , some parcels have stones , some not. my soil never bakes.

What do you say?

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril? #2  
I have rented a 8' Great Plains on several occasions. It worked very well once I got it calibrated for the seed I was using.

Land Pride is a division of Great Plains. The models seem to be the same.

They can be very expensive, even renting isn't cheap.

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril? #3  
The local Conservation District has a rental unit - Great Plains - that has worked well. I believe it's a 10' model; very heavy and comes with it's own trailer that allows the seeder to be loaded lengthwise on the trailer bed. The trailer bed lowers to ground level and then lifts.

The only problem we encountered with the Great Plains was plugging. If you worked the seeder in too wet soil conditions the disc openers would fill up with dirt and stop the seed from dropping down properly.

Of course, field conditions are variable and the majority of the field might be in an optimal moisture situation but a few spots could be trouble. Just have to watch and check the seed drops whenever you have to plant through some bad spots.

Other than that; the planter has been a great unit for probably 10 years now (with many different users..). Oh yeah, it's an expensive planter - cost the District close to $30K with trailer. Gotta be more... now.

AKfish

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril?
125000 + members,....only 2 replys, what's the matter? .Are you all hobbyists :rolleyes:

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril? #5  
I've used a Great Plains 8 foot version to seed pastures, food plots and my lawn. Good results. My wife's cousin used the same machine for clover. I used the large seed boxes, he used both large and small seed boxes. A drop tube on the small seed box was clogged. He used a sharp stick to clear the clog and managed to jab the stick through the clog and into the palm of his hand. He spent about 10 days in the hospital with a terrible infection! That has nothing to do with the no till drill except to say, they all clog up.

/ sod seeding pasture,.what no till dril? #6  
Our local department of soil conservation has Krause that they loan out. Works great, but boy is it heavy and 1/2 the weight in transport is on the tractor hitch. I think it's around 10K lbs empty. I would want at least a 95 Hp 4wd tractor just to handle the weight. That is what we used and it was just enough. In use it doesn't take that much to pull and most of the weight is on the planter at that point.

We had no problems with it plugging, but it is larger and has very good scrapers and other things to keep it going.