Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land?

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #1  

Rob Bone

Tractor
Fiat 45-66 - 4WD
We have 17 acres of sloping to hilly land, and currently have Fiat 45-66... 4WD tractor (45hp) Have been considering upgrading, and wonder if hydrostatic transmission is any good on hilly land, and also what repair & maintenance problems arise.
Hoping I can get info on the pros. & cons. of hydrostatic trans.
Thank you
Rob

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #2  
I have a 4520 e-hydro. I dont have a lot of hills. I can say when pulling heavy loads - I have to go down to low range.

I would ask the dealer for a demo. See how it does.

D.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #3  
I have a 4520 e-hydro. I dont have a lot of hills. I can say when pulling heavy loads - I have to go down to low range.

I would ask the dealer for a demo. See how it does.

D.

I agree, ask for a demo if a HST trans, and a powershuttle. Will be the best way to find out first hand.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land?
Thanks Darin. So many tractors seem to have the hydrostatic trans. so at this point it's a general enquiry if that trans. is any good on hills. When I say upgrade, I mean to a later model with lower hours, but not a new tractor, and most likely will be from a private buyer, so demo probably not possible.
Thanks,
Rob

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #5  
:welcome: I do not have many hills around and the ones I do have are not a problem for my 5010 HST tractor. So far have had no repair problems with the HST. I have changed the HST filters and fluid once and I am at 355 hours on the clock. The next HST filter and fluid change is at I think 500 hours but I would have to check to be sure. I have had 2 other tractors both gear models and for me the HST is by far the easiest to operate for what I use the tractor for and wish I had purchased one sooner.:thumbsup: :2cents: Good luck.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #6  
I have a L4400, 46 Horsepower, Kubota HST. I also use it on a lot of hilly terrain including slopes up to about 32 degrees. The great about the hydrostatic trans is I rarely use the brakes even on the steepest hills. I have used standard shift trans for years but I see the HST as a safety upgrade as I can change directions on the hills and never pass through neutral or risk missing the gear while shifting. As far as maintenance I have only had to service the HST with fresh filters and fluid at 400 hours.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #7  
Our primary hill tractors not including three SCUTs are a Kubota L5740 HSTC and M8540 HDC, both work quite well, never had any mechanical issues with either or prior L5030 HSTC.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #8  
I have had three JD with HST: 2210, 4720 and 4520. Never any transmission issues.

D.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #9  
I have a Kubota L4610 with HST. I have pretty hilly terrain, not crazy steep but hardly any of it is flat. With loaded tires and box blade on the back, I have to stay in medium almost the whole time. I can use high when going up the street but really have to rev the heck out of it.

You will most likely hear quite a bit of "whining" from the transmission on the hills. As far as maintenance, I just changed my hydraulic fluid and filters, cost me $350 but I won't have to change the fluid for another 400 hours.

There is very little maintenance and for loader work an HST is tough to beat.

/ Hydrostatic transmission for hilly land? #10  
Make sure it is a three range hydro! With two range you will be in low all the time and that is with about a 4mph max speed where a three range would give you about double that in the middle range and still have good power.