What kind of tractor?

/ What kind of tractor? #1  

Teamjefe

Tractor
Kubota M7040
Ok so my family owns about 4000 acres of land in southeast Texas. We used to have a farmer that would do pasture maintenance for us but he is on the way out. We have a 70hp Kubota but it just isn't big enough to take care of the whole place. Its fine for light shredding but not when it comes to shredding and disking pastures. We are looking at getting a 150-200hp tractor to pull a 20-25ft disk. Our old farmer used a Case 7140. Any reviews of this tractor as far as power, fuel, and maintenance go? Any other types of tractors I should look at?

Thanks

/ What kind of tractor? #2  
I wouldn't think any one tractor is big enough for 4000 acres.

/ What kind of tractor? #3  
Probably need a few tractors to handle 4000 acres in a timly manner.

/ What kind of tractor? #4  
Ok so my family owns about 4000 acres of land in southeast Texas. We used to have a farmer that would do pasture maintenance for us but he is on the way out. We have a 70hp Kubota but it just isn't big enough to take care of the whole place. Its fine for light shredding but not when it comes to shredding and disking pastures. We are looking at getting a 150-200hp tractor to pull a 20-25ft disk. Our old farmer used a Case 7140. Any reviews of this tractor as far as power, fuel, and maintenance go? Any other types of tractors I should look at?

Thanks

My neighbor uses a Stieger Super Wildcat tractor to pull a 15-ft offset disc across his 150 acres of hayfield (dryland, oats). It's powered by a Cat 3160 diesel--around 200 hp. He farms part time evenings and weekends. Don't know how many acres/hour he needs to disc his hayfield, but my guess is around 15 a/h.

Steiger Super Wildcat-1.JPGSteiger Super Wildcat-2.JPGSteiger Super Wildcat-3.JPG

All his hardware is pre-owned stuff.

Good luck.

/ What kind of tractor?
I wouldn't be doing this as a full time job. If I tried to disk one of my fields with my Kubota 70hp and my 8ft disk it would take days of working non stop.

/ What kind of tractor? #6  
My neighbor pulls his 24ft tandom disc/20ft chisel plow and 20ft batwing with a New Holland TS135a and a Kubota M135x.

/ What kind of tractor? #7  
I wouldn't be doing this as a full time job. If I tried to disk one of my fields with my Kubota 70hp and my 8ft disk it would take days of working non stop.

Pasture maintenance? So how many acres of discing are we talking about here? The entire 4000 acres? If so, that's one huge hunk of land. What are you planting there?

/ What kind of tractor? #8  
Man, that's some serious land to maintain! That's more in-line with the size of places I grew up surrounded by in West Central MN.

I'm interested to know what you end up getting.

/ What kind of tractor?
Won't be disking the entire 4000....probably more like 1300 of that...the rest is farm land and it leased to a farmer.

We are planning on burning, disking, and planting native grasses. We also disk fields to promote forb growth. Our 70hp has been great but not enough power. Then we starting thinking about getting something like a M135x. But after looking at prices I could get an older but very reliable 200hp and a disk harrow for less. We have a Kubota SLV75 skid steer for digging/brush clearing/loading. Also our M7040 has a FEL for loading.

/ What kind of tractor? #10  
Won't be disking the entire 4000....probably more like 1300 of that...the rest is farm land and it leased to a farmer.

We are planning on burning, disking, and planting native grasses. We also disk fields to promote forb growth. Our 70hp has been great but not enough power. Then we starting thinking about getting something like a M135x. But after looking at prices I could get an older but very reliable 200hp and a disk harrow for less. We have a Kubota SLV75 skid steer for digging/brush clearing/loading. Also our M7040 has a FEL for loading.

Gotcha. Are you in a wildlife valuation down there, or ag/timber?