Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040

Default What kind of tractor?

Ok so my family owns about 4000 acres of land in southeast Texas. We used to have a farmer that would do pasture maintenance for us but he is on the way out. We have a 70hp kubota but it just isn't big enough to take care of the whole place. Its fine for light shredding but not when it comes to shredding and disking pastures. We are looking at getting a 150-200hp tractor to pull a 20-25ft disk. Our old farmer used a Case 7140. Any reviews of this tractor as far as power, fuel, and maintenance go? Any other types of tractors I should look at?

Thanks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I wouldn't think any one tractor is big enough for 4000 acres.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Probably need a few tractors to handle 4000 acres in a timly manner.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Default Re: What kind of tractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Teamjefe View Post
    Ok so my family owns about 4000 acres of land in southeast Texas. We used to have a farmer that would do pasture maintenance for us but he is on the way out. We have a 70hp kubota but it just isn't big enough to take care of the whole place. Its fine for light shredding but not when it comes to shredding and disking pastures. We are looking at getting a 150-200hp tractor to pull a 20-25ft disk. Our old farmer used a Case 7140. Any reviews of this tractor as far as power, fuel, and maintenance go? Any other types of tractors I should look at?

Thanks
    My neighbor uses a Stieger Super Wildcat tractor to pull a 15-ft offset disc across his 150 acres of hayfield (dryland, oats). It's powered by a Cat 3160 diesel--around 200 hp. He farms part time evenings and weekends. Don't know how many acres/hour he needs to disc his hayfield, but my guess is around 15 a/h.

-steiger-super-wildcat-1-jpg-steiger-super-wildcat-2-jpg-steiger-super-wildcat-3-jpg

All his hardware is pre-owned stuff.

Good luck.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040

I wouldn't be doing this as a full time job. If I tried to disk one of my fields with my kubota 70hp and my 8ft disk it would take days of working non stop.

Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

My neighbor pulls his 24ft tandom disc/20ft chisel plow and 20ft batwing with a New Holland TS135a and a kubota M135x.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

I wouldn't be doing this as a full time job. If I tried to disk one of my fields with my kubota 70hp and my 8ft disk it would take days of working non stop.
    Pasture maintenance? So how many acres of discing are we talking about here? The entire 4000 acres? If so, that's one huge hunk of land. What are you planting there?

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Man, that's some serious land to maintain! That's more in-line with the size of places I grew up surrounded by in West Central MN.

I'm interested to know what you end up getting.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040

Won't be disking the entire 4000....probably more like 1300 of that...the rest is farm land and it leased to a farmer.

We are planning on burning, disking, and planting native grasses. We also disk fields to promote forb growth. Our 70hp has been great but not enough power. Then we starting thinking about getting something like a M135x. But after looking at prices I could get an older but very reliable 200hp and a disk harrow for less. We have a kubota SLV75 skid steer for digging/brush clearing/loading. Also our M7040 has a FEL for loading.

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Won't be disking the entire 4000....probably more like 1300 of that...the rest is farm land and it leased to a farmer.

We are planning on burning, disking, and planting native grasses. We also disk fields to promote forb growth. Our 70hp has been great but not enough power. Then we starting thinking about getting something like a M135x. But after looking at prices I could get an older but very reliable 200hp and a disk harrow for less. We have a kubota SLV75 skid steer for digging/brush clearing/loading. Also our M7040 has a FEL for loading.
    Gotcha. Are you in a wildlife valuation down there, or ag/timber?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast