She runs!

/ She runs! #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I had some quality tractor time today!

I put the "new" used carb on. I went over the valves, because I knew they were all out of adjustment. I set them at .016 cold figuring that would be close. I also put in a fresh set of plugs, since I knew the existing ones were marginal.

She fired up! I didn't have to crank forever, or tow start. It did take about 8 carnks.

I had to shut down so I could take my son to basketball. After we got back, I fired her up, ran her a bit, and moved into the garage. Setting the valves at .016 cold got them pretty close to .014 hot. I went ahead and went over them again, but this time with the motor hot. I put a fresh set of plug wires, a rotor, and a cap on.

This time, she fired on the second crank /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I still need to tune the carb, and check the governer adjustments. I have new points for the Mag, but don't want to jump into that yet...

Overall, a good tractor day /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ She runs! #2  
Robert -

Congratulations! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sounds like you really know your way around under the hood. Bringing life back to a classic like your vintage Farmall has to be very rewarding.

And now that I know of your talents, neighbor, you might regret giving me your phone number. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ She runs! #3  
Robert:
Your work on a Farmal A brings back some old memories. Cut my teeth on one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I was wondering what you do for the valves. Have you upgraded them to work without lead or do you use an additive. I had a late 50's Farmal 340 that I added additive, to stop the valve seat from wearing out.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ She runs! #4  
Lovin life and livin large!
Nothing better to hear that wonderful chug chug chug
Gordon

/ She runs! #5  
Robert,
Thats great to read. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Looks like your right on schedule for entering up coming events this year.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ She runs!
RonH,
I am not sure. So far, my run time has been around the block and criss-crossing my 5 acres. I don't have a implement yet...

I just found a mower for her, a 5' rear sickle bar, which I will use for 7.5 acres a couple times a year. Probably, when I know she'll work under a load, I'll add a additive.

That has been a repeated topic on YTmag and ATIS. There never has been a real clear direction on this.

The addititve certianly wouldn't hurt though. And, since I don't work this tractor daily, the cost of a few bottles a year would be negligable. So, I guess yes...

The engine was stuck, and rebuilt before I got it. Come to find out, they just threw a set of rings and bearing in it. It works fine, but I would like to do the rebuild it deserves. At that point I will do the valves up right. That won't be till next winter though.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif