Vicon round baler ?

/ Vicon round baler ? #1  

MikeF

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R cab
I have found a good deal on a Vicon AP 1210 round bailer, but I have not had any expierence with any round bailers at all. I have heard of some of them needing a monitor that goes on the tractor. Do they work if there is not a monitor what does this monitor do ? the man who has the bailer is just selling it and has not a clue, & it dosent appear to have a monitor. Any ideas on if it should?

Thanks For the help !! Mike

/ Vicon round baler ? #2  
Re: Vicon round bailer ?

Mike most of the new ones do but some of the older ones or economy ones just had hydraulic controls to open the rear gate or rope for tie activation.

/ Vicon round baler ? #3  

Some balers will have monitors and some won't, even the new ones. The higher end balers will usually have a monitor but very few, if any, of the lower end balers will have a monitor. If it doesn't have a monitor there will be a gauge with marks and a red area or there will be a number system. You have to keep watching this to know when to make your bale. Once you get to the bale limit you will either have a switch or a string tied to a trip that will start the tying process. You will watch the tying bar as it makes its way across and back. When it gets back in place you will then open your back door and release the bale from the chamber. It usually takes 2-3 times to make bales without a monitor. If you only have a few acres and bales to make no big deal. But if you're making hundreds of bales a day it's one heck of alot faster and easier to do it with a monitor.

/ Vicon round baler ? #4  

Never heard of that brand. How hard would it be to find parts for? If you have tons of money like some, buy you a fancy new JD with all the buttons and bale like crazy. If however you are like most of us and don't have a lot of money to throw around check out a new Vermeer Rebel, or low end New Holland. Lots of good financing deals out there right now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Vicon round baler ? #5  

If you're going to buy a low end Vermeer baler, the rebel, you can get a similiar low end JD baler for about the same money.

If you want a top of the line 5x6 baler it's going to cost you big bucks whether it's Vermeer or JD. I just bought a 557 round baler and the price from CCI for the same spec'd baler was actually $400 higher than what I paid for the 557 so enough with the high priced JD stuff. You get what you pay for no matter what the color is.

/ Vicon round baler ? #6  
I'm thinink the Vicon is a soft-core baler?

The most favored is a rubber belt baler. Newer ones with wider belts, good tension, open throat.

Next are NH bar & chain balers. Work about as good, but wear a little faster & will knock leaves off alfalfa. Do better in cornstalks & the rough stuff tho.

Then are the soft-core balers, or fixed-chamber. They usually have big metal drums around the bale, & throw hay into the middle, keep tumbling it around. Only as the bale gets full do they start to pack the hay tight. Some say they allow you to bale damper hay, as the softer center will dry out. Others note that the bales just don't pack as tight, and settle & mold more if stored outside.

The very old round balers were closed-throat. The hay had to pass through 2 rollers real close together. Caused a lot of plugging & could not handle damp hay at all.

A monitor usually works off 12v, and it has a spring roller on the 2 outer belts. if one belt gets looser, the monitor will show a light to move over in that direction. Keeps you from having to twist around & guess yourself which side to fill. End up making better bales, tighter. The newer monitors may also have size, twine, & tightness adjustments on it, and basically run & control the whole baler.

Round baler needs at least 1 hyd set to open & close the baler. Some models use a rope you pull to move the twine, some use a 2nd hyd set, and some (newer) use 12v electric to move the twine.

Pretty much all there is. Newer balers feed better, make tighter bales, have better monitors that help you keep baling looking forward. Older ones waste fine short hay, don't start a bale as easily, have no monitors. Kinda sorta how it sorts out.

--->Paul

/ Vicon round baler ? #7  
A monitor is an option on the vermeer rebel.
If you do not get the monitor you get a llittle switch that allows you to manually tie off the bale as part of the stock baler price.

The monitor, if memory serves, will automtically tie the bale for you.

Using the manual tie takes a very little amount of practice to learn how to do. You just need to get enough wraps and the end wraps in the right place and thats it. In my opnion not worth the extra money for the monitor.

On the vermeer its just a linear actuator that runs the tie arms back and forth. A linear actuator like one of these
http://www.dcactuator.com/index.asp

The manual tie setup is just a switch that aplies 12v or -12v to the linear actuator and therefore retracts or extends the tie arms.
If the baler in question is missing this switch it would be very easy to make your own, so I would not let that stop you if you want the baler.

Fred

/ Vicon round baler ? #8  

Doc,
You can not Purchase a JD 457 for close to $11,500 (Rebel 5400) the 5x4' JD457 without hay saver wheels in over $14,000 and the JD has shear bolt protection standard where the Vermeer has a clutch. JD list the 457 as needing 55 HP to make a 1100 Lbs bale while Vermeer can make a 1200 LBS bale with 40 HP.
5400main.jpg

/ Vicon round baler ? #9  

Is the $11,500 list price or your discounted price? I always love how people quote the JD prices at list and the equipment they buy or sell at what they actually sell for and not list. List price doesn't mean anything. What can you actually buy it for. I can go to 10 dealers here and get a different price and say Vermeer is more expensive than deere because one dealer deeply discounted a jd and another sold his vermeer at retail. When you quoted me that one baler you were $400 higher than a jd with everything on it but I'm not going around all over the forum saying jd is cheaper than vermeer. That was one instance where it was cheaper.

As far the hp deal that to me is still pretty stupid. You can't tell me that a 40hp tractor is going to pull that baler up a hill at operating speed. It just isn't going to happen. Heck I could run my 567 with my 40hp compact but that doesn't mean it's safe or I can do it on a hot day baling 400 bales without overheating.

/ Vicon round baler ? #10  
Vicon was purchased by Inland Manufacturing of Canada. Inland is owned by Buhler Manufacturing, very strong, and currently building and servicing round balers. Also have A nice round bale carrier.
Chuck M.