Ih464 differential lock repair

/ Ih464 differential lock repair #1  

Mark Herman

Tractor
IH 464
Is there anything external other than the pedal that may be broken, or must I split the tractor to find the problem? If so, do I have to split it at the clutch and then remove the transmission, or can it be split between the transmission and rear? Thanks for your help[/I]

/ Ih464 differential lock repair #2  
First, check to make sure the linkage is not frozen up, and working properly. The one on my Case hoe, although different than yours, was frozen up where it goes through the housing, just needed to remove the shaft & lubricate, then worked like new.

If the linkage is free and working externally, then it's probably an internal problem. From the looks of the exploded view from Case/IH online parts book, you would need to remove the rear housing top cover to get to what you're looking for. #;s 2,3, & 4 are what you'd be looking for. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts Looks like a pretty good slab of steel, so a hoist of some sort would be pretty handy.

I'd say a manual, even an I&T would be a big help on this project. There is a IH Blue Ribbon manual on ebay right now that covers the differential assy. for about $52.00. But, you can get a new one from Case/IH for the same money. Choose Items

/ Ih464 differential lock repair
Thanks for the information. The pedal is very stiff, but I assumed it was working. I'll try taking it off and cleaning and oiling it before I try anything else.