Noisy Perkins engine

/ Noisy Perkins engine #1  

Anonymous Poster

This past summer I bought a Massey Ferguson 231-s tractor. It is a light/medium duty tractor (42 pto hp) that is just about right for me. When I first bought the tractor, the engine was fairly quiet, with little "diesel clatter". After owning three diesel tractors, I'd say it was about middle range in engine noise. Even though the tractor ran good, it had a miss at high rpms - just as it tached out at 2200. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the timing on the pump. That cured the high rpm miss, but "Boy is it loud". It is easily the noisiest diesel I have been around. The dealer says this is normal and since I have never owned a Perkins, I don't have anything to compare it to. Has anybody out there had experience with the newer Perkins that can help me out. I guess I can live with the noise if the engine will stay together.

/ Noisy Perkins engine #2  
T-Bone,
The Perkins engines are pretty quite IMO. I think that the dealer needs to look at the engine again. I no longer have a small perkins, but my 166 horsepower 6 cylinder is even quite to me.
JerryG

/ Noisy Perkins engine
I've owned a few Massey's with Perkins in my years. A 236, 203, and 152. Yours is an upgrade to the 152, I believe 164 (903.27- 900 series, 3 cyl, 2.7 liter), the same unit Case/IH is using in their smaller utililities.

When I heard the 231S, I thought it was very "quiet" compared to mine. In fact , I was impressed on how quiet it was compared to 25 years ago.

Go down to the dealer's lot and start up another 231S and compare. If they don't have a 231S, try a 241 or 243 all with the same engine. (a plain 231 has the 152 Perkins). Also try a Case/IH dealer's lot on the C/CX50 is the same.

How's your fuel economy? Mine just sipped the fuel, and the new updated unit is supposed to be even better. What other engines did you have for a reference?

/ Noisy Perkins engine
John, Thanks for the reply. I think I do have the 164 engine. It has plenty of power for that size tractor and is real good on fuel. I previously had a John Deere, a David Brown and for the past several years, an old 444 International. They were all a lot quieter than the Massey. I am going to talk to the dealer again.

/ Noisy Perkins engine
T-Bone,

What did you find out? How's your Perkins?

/ Noisy Perkins engine #6  
Howdy!

Sounds like the dealer advanced the timing quite a bit. Advancing the timing allows for more complete combustion, resulting in more power & better fuel economy, but at the expense of more noise and higher combustion pressures. This is a technique commonly used on older pickup diesels [before they were all electronically controlled] to get a bit better mileage and power.

You could have the dealer ****** the timing a bit to quiet it down. I doubt you would notice a performance or efficiency difference unless they really change things.

Best Regards,
Jay

/ Noisy Perkins engine #7  
Jay, Thanks to you and John for the replies on my noisy engine. The mechanic says that it is set to run its best and he won't change it. (He also admits that he doesn't like Perkins engines - he's a Kubota man). I have asked the dealer to order me a tool that fits the adjustment screw and if I ever get it I am going to set it myself. It has been 4 months and he says its on backorder. I think he's just giving me the runaround and I am going to keep calling till he gets me one. The tractor is out of warranty so I am not worried about that. I thought I would get used to the noise after a while but I think it gets louder every day. It runs good though and is stingy on fuel. I'll let you know how it turns out if I can ever get a tool to adjust it. TBone

/ Noisy Perkins engine
I know its late but just read your post on the perkins. I have the same tractor also with a miss at high rpms. Took it to the dealer and was told that the timing is set wrong, however they dont have the tool to set it. They claim its a new tool for a new style pump and that it is on back-order. I talked to the mechanic and he said there was a service bullition from MF about this and that the timing is set to far ahead for north american type diesal fuel. There is also a thermal senser on the pump that changes the timing when the engine is warm, I notice that mine is much quieter when that occures. I never took it back for the adjustment and have just lived with the miss-fire which is not always there anyways.

/ Noisy Perkins engine #9  
JMIII and tooner,

I thought this thread was deceased a long time ago but for those who are interested I traded in the Massey about 3 weeks ago, the noisy engine being one of the reasons.

I couldn't get the dealer to set the timing to my satisfaction so I ordered a tool (#45 tamper proof torx) and set it myself. I got it a little better but never did get it quiet enough to suit me.

I wonder now about the sensor that tooner mentioned because I never could tell any difference between cold and hot as far as noise went.

JMIII my tractor was quiet on the lot too - VERY QUIET. But after I got it home and started using it I detected the miss and after the miss was corrected it was NOISY. I wonder now if the dealers do this on purpose. After all, not many people would open the throttle wide open on a brand new engine and that's the only time it missed.

If I had kept it I would have done like tooner and set it back to where it was quiet and not used the last couple of notches on the tachometer to avoid the miss. It seemed to have plenty of power at that setting.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. The 231S is somebody else's pride and joy now. I hope they do well with it. Personally this kinda soured me on Perkins engines.

TBone

/ Noisy Perkins engine #10  
If you think that is noisy.. try a 2 cyl.. like in some of the yanmar models.... they call them yammer-hammers....

The first time I heard it I turned white.. I thought my tractor ( new to me ) was dieing...

Soundguy