JD 5303

/ JD 5303 #1  

gkystearns

Tractor
5303 JD, 4000 Ford
All winter, the 5303 (Right Hand) shifter would freeze. In Park, no moving it. 5 minutes with my wife's hair dryer and off we'd go. My son in law's dad has one of these, same deal only he got a hair dryer at a garage sale and can use it any time he wants. Warm now, just want to see if anyone has had the same problem or solved it. It is not the boot, mine was new, my daughter's father in law changes his every couple years. Both of them stay in the barn. Trying to get guidance from JD Technical, that is like trying to borrow your wife's hairdryer all winter. Thanks, any ideas would be tried!

/ JD 5303 #2  
Our 5045e (same basic tractor) has the same issue. It started this past winter and I think water must have gotten in there at some point. The boot did have a crack in it, but I also theorize it could be condensation causing it. My 5203 never had this problem, so I'm not sure what causes it. I too would like to know the exact source of the problem. I haven't tried it, but I think spraying some WD-40 down there might displace the water.

/ JD 5303
I pulled the boot up and soaked it in WD 40. May have helped, only slightly. After the second cold day, frozen again ! Again soaked it several times allowing it to soak in each time, no help . I really have trouble believing JD engineering hasn't fixed it. My local dealer says they know of nothing to fix it, but he isn't stocking blow dryers yet !

/ JD 5303 #4  
All winter, the 5303 (Right Hand) shifter would freeze. In Park, no moving it. 5 minutes with my wife's hair dryer and off we'd go. My son in law's dad has one of these, same deal only he got a hair dryer at a garage sale and can use it any time he wants. Warm now, just want to see if anyone has had the same problem or solved it. It is not the boot, mine was new, my daughter's father in law changes his every couple years. Both of them stay in the barn. Trying to get guidance from JD Technical, that is like trying to borrow your wife's hairdryer all winter. Thanks, any ideas would be tried!

Had same problem withh my 5303 but my range shifter would freeze when cold. Just fixed mine. Problem is water in oil. Take boot off. And some snap rings. Probly a retaining ring also. Then pull shifter out of socket. Then take suction gun n draw all oil n water out. I used rag n screw driver to get any left on bottom. Filled it with hytran oil just over shift pocket. Put a very light coat of grease on shifter ball then reassemble.. you wont believe the water in there. My tractor always keep in garage put new boot on n serviced to a tee. Got sick of put heater to it so i could shift. Hope this helps