Agco Allis 8630 won't fire

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire #1  

Paul N

Silver Member
Tractor
AC C, AC 170 gas, AC 180 diesel, Agco Allis 8630 FWA diesel, Farmall H, Farmall M
Looking for some help and or advise. I have a 1993 Agco Allis 8630. It has a 6 cylinder air cooled engine, with electronic governor. The fuel filters are good, the fuel pump works, and the injectors were all working fine. Engine turns over fine, but will not fire, which tells me the governor is not turning on. The governor is controlled by an electronic control unit (ECU). I would like to find some info about how to check the ECU. Google hasn't been very helpful.

Paul

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire
It turned out to be a faulty magnetic speed sensor.

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire #3  
Three years after your post I had the same problem with the speed sensor. I have 6000 hrs on my AGCO 8630 and I am having the clutch replaced by the dealer. Any thoughts or recommendations? I have only had the tractor two years but so far I am impressed with its performance.

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire
Welcome to TBN! We bought this tractor in 2005. It's our first and only front wheel assist. Once you have 4 wheel drive, you'll never go back. It's very fuel efficient. When plowing with 4-18's, it will burn 4.2 gph. Square baling is 2 to 2.5 gph. Round baling is more, but I never measured it. It has the economy PTO lever which saves a lot of fuel when baling. Being air cooled, the engine has to be kept clean for proper cooling, so I wash it twice a year. On the down side, this particular tractor has 100% manual transmission. No "shift on the go", but I got used to it. The fewer bells & whistles, the less that can go wrong. I'm assuming your dealer is Lano's? They're good people to work with, but just as expensive as anyone else. Where did you find this tractor? There aren't may of these around.

Paul

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire #5  
The tractor is used south of Austin, MN so I took it to Marzolf in Spring Valley for the clutch repair. Less expensive than Lano. They helped us with the sensor and I have heard good things about Marzolf from others. I bought it from the Titan dealer in Savage who took it on trade from the city of Hutchinson. I'll let you know about the clutch when they finish.

/ Agco Allis 8630 won't fire #6  
Clutch is replaced. The old one was worn down and no oil leaks around it. I had used it on a scraper which I think finished off the old one after 6000 hours. Got it home and then it would not restart until I adjusted the speed sensor down closer to the flywheel.