JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows?

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows? #1  

blaze 57

Bronze Member
Notice my buddies fairly new JD 348 STRUGGLES in the big windrows with tall grass. He fought plugging and the tall grass getting wrapped around the auger on the knifes end. I could SMELL slipping belts and he broke some flywheel sheer bolts. Is this typical of auger balers or maybe his knives dull or out of adjustment?? what do you guys think about this baler? thanks

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows? #2  
I'm thinking he needs to find a lower gear while baling or cut with a narrower windrower.

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows? #3  
It could be a lot of things, without seeing it, hard to say.

Could be feeder fork is out of adjustment. PTO speed too low, timing off a little on the baler. Could be the plunger head has issues, or dull knives with the broken shear bolts.

Crop wrapping around the auger is a new one on me. I've baled with a 336 grass that was at least 5-6 feet tall and not had an issue. I would think a 348 would eat anything thrown at it.

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows?
I believe his knives are dull....found a couple huge chips in them and some of the bales seems ragged on the cut side. Timing is right on specs according to manual. Timing is fairly easy to set on these.

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows? #5  
As stated... Lower gear and I'm thinking may be baling thick hay not totally cured .. Cut a bale open the next day check the heat and the smell

/ JD 348 sqaure baler dont like tall grass and thick windrows? #6  
I believe his knives are dull....found a couple huge chips in them and some of the bales seems ragged on the cut side. Timing is right on specs according to manual. Timing is fairly easy to set on these.

I'm not sure this will help this situation, but as far as timing goes, Sean the "baler man" has a timing video and his method is just slightly different than the factory timing, and might help. They found the setup by accident while working on a customer's baler. I timed my 346 according to his method and found that it was satisfactory. bestbalerparts.com

Sounds like he's feeding too much for the crop condition if it's wrapping IMHO.